Turkey - Inflation and the Distribution of Income
During the inflationary process, prices, wages, and interest rates are all rising. In this panorama of movement in relative and absolute prices, are there systematic changes that have a predictable effect on the distribution of income? Chronically high inflation has often been blamed for making income distribution less equal in Turkey. This paper attempts to present some evidence. It seeks to determine the impact of inflationary processes on the economic well being of different income classes through both expenditure effects and income effects.
|Date of creation:||1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nordhaus, William D, 1973.
"The Effects of Inflation on the Distribution of Economic Welfare,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 5(1), pages 465-504, Part II F.
- William D. Nordhaus, 1972. "The Effects of Inflation on the Distribution of Economic Welfare," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 329, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Muellbauer, John, 1974. "Prices and Inequality: The United Kingdom Experience," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 84(333), pages 32-55, March.
- Michael, Robert T, 1979. "Variation across Households in the Rate of Inflation," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 11(1), pages 32-46, February.
- Budd, Edward C & Seiders, David F, 1971. "The Impact of Inflation on the Distribution of Income and Wealth," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(2), pages 128-38, May.
- Robert J. Shiller, 1997. "Public Resistance to Indexation: A Puzzle," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 28(1), pages 159-228.
- Ales Bulir & Anne Marie Gulde, 1995. "Inflation and Income Distribution; Further Evidenceon Empirical Links," IMF Working Papers 95/86, International Monetary Fund.
- C. Emre Alper & Murat Ucer, 1998. "Some Observations on Turkish Inflation: A ''Random Walk'' Down the Past Decade," Working Papers 1998/02, Bogazici University, Department of Economics.
- Brimmer, Andrew F, 1971. "Inflation and Income Distribution in the United States," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 53(1), pages 37-48, February.
- Theil, Henri, 1979. "Variations across households in the rate of inflation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 37-39.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:9759. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.