The Cost of Living Index for Poor Households: The Case of Vietnam
The paper aims to estimate the Fisher index during the period 1994-1997 to explore how well the Laspeyres index can serve as the cost of living index. It is shown that the Laspeyres results in an upward substitution bias, and the bias appears to be higher for the ultra-poor and the poor. It means that for the very poor group the Laspeyres index overestimates their cost of living. With a limited budget the poor tends to have substitution to ensure a certain level of living standard. This suggests a remarkable point that if the basket weights are not revised frequently the Laspeyres index can present a significant bias from the cost of living, and this bias tends to be higher for the poor group. Since there is not a significant difference in the CPI between the poor and the non-poor and the whole population, CPI can be used as an approximate index of living cost of the poor as well as the non-poor for a period from one to three years.
|Date of creation:||29 Jun 2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Atkinson, A B, 1987. "On the Measurement of Poverty," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(4), pages 749-764, July.
- Ravallion, M., 1992. "Poverty Comparisons - A Guide to Concepts and Methods," Papers 88, World Bank - Living Standards Measurement.
- Theil, Henri, 1979. "Variations across households in the rate of inflation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 37-39.
- Michael, Robert T, 1979. "Variation across Households in the Rate of Inflation," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 11(1), pages 32-46, February.
- Hagemann, Robert P, 1982. "The Variability of Inflation Rates across Household Types," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 14(4), pages 494-510, November.
- repec:ubc:bricol:89-07 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:25628. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.