Time preference and savoring – how to exploit the Loewenstein contradiction
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Gary S. Becker & Casey B. Mulligan, 1997.
"The Endogenous Determination of Time Preference,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(3), pages 729-758.
- Becker, G.S. & Mulligan, C.B., 1994. "On the Endogenous Determination of Time Preference," University of Chicago - Economics Research Center 94-2, Chicago - Economics Research Center.
- Gary S. Becker & Casey B. Mulligan, 1994. "On the Endogenous Determination of Time Preference," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 98, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Hermann, Daniel & Musshoff, Oliver, 2016. "Measuring time preferences: Comparing methods and evaluating the magnitude effect," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 65(C), pages 16-26.
- Saul Pleeter & John T. Warner, 2001. "The Personal Discount Rate: Evidence from Military Downsizing Programs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(1), pages 33-53, March.
- Michael J. Dixon & Liana Victorino & Robert J. Kwortnik & Rohit Verma, 2017. "Surprise, Anticipation, and Sequence Effects in the Design of Experiential Services," Production and Operations Management, Production and Operations Management Society, vol. 26(5), pages 945-960, May.
- Loewenstein, George, 1987. "Anticipation and the Valuation of Delayed Consumption," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 97(387), pages 666-684, September.
- Shane Frederick & George Loewenstein & Ted O'Donoghue, 2002. "Time Discounting and Time Preference: A Critical Review," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 40(2), pages 351-401, June.
- Marjon M. Van Der Pol & John A. Cairns, 2000. "Negative and zero time preference for health," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(2), pages 171-175, March.
- Lowenstein, George & Prelec, Drazen, 1991. "Negative Time Preference," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(2), pages 347-352, May.
- Atmadja, Stibniati S. & Sills, Erin O. & Pattanayak, Subhrendu K. & Yang, Jui-Chen & Patil, Sumeet, 2017. "Explaining environmental health behaviors: evidence from rural India on the influence of discount rates," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(3), pages 229-248, June.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Giles W Story & Ivaylo Vlaev & Ben Seymour & Joel S Winston & Ara Darzi & Raymond J Dolan, 2013. "Dread and the Disvalue of Future Pain," PLOS Computational Biology, Public Library of Science, vol. 9(11), pages 1-18, November.
- Wang, Mei & Rieger, Marc Oliver & Hens, Thorsten, 2016. "How time preferences differ: Evidence from 53 countries," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 52(C), pages 115-135.
- Arthur E. Attema & Han Bleichrodt & Olivier L’Haridon & Patrick Peretti-Watel & Valérie Seror, 2018.
"Discounting health and money: New evidence using a more robust method,"
Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 56(2), pages 117-140, April.
- Arthur E. Attema & Han Bleichrodt & Olivier L’haridon & Patrick Peretti-Watel & Valérie Seror, 2018. "Discounting Health and Money: New Evidence Using A More Robust Method," Post-Print halshs-01683771, HAL.
- van der Pol, Marjon & Walsh, David & McCartney, Gerry, 2015. "Comparing time and risk preferences across three post-industrial UK cities," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 140(C), pages 54-61.
- Marco Casari & Davide Dragone, 2015. "Choice reversal without temptation: A dynamic experiment on time preferences," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 50(2), pages 119-140, April.
- Tatiana Kossova & Elena Kossova & Maria Sheluntcova, 2014.
"Estimating the Relationship Between Rate of Time Preferences And Socio-Economic Factors In Russia,"
European Research Studies Journal, European Research Studies Journal, vol. 0(1), pages 39-68.
- Tatiana Kossova & Elena Kossova & Maria Sheluntcova, 2012. "Estimating the relationship between rate of time preferences and socio-economic factors in Russia," HSE Working papers WP BRP 23/EC/2012, National Research University Higher School of Economics.
- Marjon van der Pol & John Cairns, 2011. "Descriptive validity of alternative intertemporal models for health outcomes: an axiomatic test," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(7), pages 770-782, July.
- Mohammed Abdellaoui & Cédric Gutierrez & Emmanuel Kemel, 2018. "Temporal discounting of gains and losses of time: An experimental investigation," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 57(1), pages 1-28, August.
- Marieka M. Klawitter & C. Leigh Anderson & Mary Kay Gugerty, 2013. "Savings And Personal Discount Rates In A Matched Savings Program For Low-Income Families," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 31(3), pages 468-485, July.
- Senik, Claudia, 2008.
"Is man doomed to progress?,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 140-152, October.
- Senik, Claudia, 2006. "Is man doomed to progress?," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Docweb) 0608, CEPREMAP.
- Senik, Claudia, 2006. "Is Man Doomed to Progress?," IZA Discussion Papers 2237, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Claudia Senik, 2007. "Is man doomed to progress?," PSE Working Papers halshs-00590519, HAL.
- Ida, Takanori & Goto, Rei & Takahashi, Yuko & Nishimura, Shuzo, 2011. "Can economic-psychological parameters predict successful smoking cessation?," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 285-295, May.
- Jindrich Matousek, 2018.
"Individual Discount Rates: A Meta-Analysis of the Experimental Evidence,"
Working Papers IES
2018/40, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, revised Dec 2018.
- Havranek, Tomas & Irsova, Zuzana & Matousek, Jindrich, 2021. "Individual Discount Rates: A Meta-Analysis of Experimental Evidence," CEPR Discussion Papers 15688, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Matousek, Jindrich & Havranek, Tomas & Irsova, Zuzana, 2019. "Individual Discount Rates: A Meta-Analysis of Experimental Evidence," EconStor Preprints 194617, ZBW - Leibniz Information Centre for Economics.
- Ruffle, Bradley J. & Tobol, Yossef, 2014. "Honest on Mondays: Honesty and the temporal separation between decisions and payoffs," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 65(C), pages 126-135.
- Brown, Jeffrey R. & Ivković, Zoran & Weisbenner, Scott, 2015. "Empirical determinants of intertemporal choice," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 116(3), pages 473-486.
- Bradley J. Ruffle & Yossef Tobol, 2013.
"Honest On Mondays: Honesty And The Temporal Distance Between Decisions And Payoffs,"
1301, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Department of Economics.
- Ruffle, Bradley & Tobol, Yossef, 2013. "Honest on Mondays: Honesty and the Temporal Distance between Decisions and Payoffs," IZA Discussion Papers 7312, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Marco Casari, 2009.
"Pre-commitment and flexibility in a time decision experiment,"
Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 117-141, April.
- Casari, Marco, 2006. "Pre-Commitment and Flexibility in a Time Decision Experiment," Purdue University Economics Working Papers 1183, Purdue University, Department of Economics.
- Shane Frederick & George Loewenstein, 2008. "Conflicting motives in evaluations of sequences," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 221-235, December.
- Sebastian Schweighofer-Kodritsch, 2015. "Time Preferences and Bargaining," STICERD - Theoretical Economics Paper Series /2015/568, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Manzini, Paola & Mariotti, Marco, 2007. "Choice Over Time," IZA Discussion Papers 2993, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- van der Pol, Marjon & Cairns, John, 2002. "A comparison of the discounted utility model and hyperbolic discounting models in the case of social and private intertemporal preferences for health," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 79-96, September.
More about this item
KeywordsTime preference; Savoring; Discounting; Anticipatory utility;
All these keywords.
- B26 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought since 1925 - - - Financial Economics
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-UPT-2018-03-26 (Utility Models & Prospect Theory)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:84500. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/vfmunde.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.