Openness and the Effects of Monetary Policy in Africa
This paper investigates the relationship between a country's openness to trade and the effects of monetary policy on output growth and inflation in Africa. Theory suggest that monetary policy effectiveness is influenced by the degree of openness to international trade. We apply standard panel data techniques to annual data from the period 1990-2015 for a panel of 37 African countries, and find a strong significant relationship between openness and monetary policy effectiveness in Africa. The empirical results indicate that the effects of monetary policy on output growth and inflation increases and decreases respectively with higher levels of trade openness. Therefore, monetary authorities should place emphasis on the level of openness when designing their choice of optimal monetary policy.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2017|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cwik, Tobias & Müller, Gernot J. & Wolters, Maik H., 2011.
"Does trade integration alter monetary policy transmission?,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 545-564, April.
- Cwik, Tobias J. & Müller, Gernot J. & Wolters, Maik H., 2008. "Does trade integration alter monetary policy transmission?," CFS Working Paper Series 2008/29, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Cwik, Tobias & Müller, Gernot & Wolters, Maik H, 2010. "Does Trade Integration Alter Monetary Policy Transmission?," CEPR Discussion Papers 8026, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Effiong, Ekpeno & Esu, Godwin & Chuku, Chuku, 2017. "Financial Development and Monetary Policy Effectiveness in Africa," MPRA Paper 79732, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- David Romer, 1993. "Openness and Inflation: Theory and Evidence," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 108(4), pages 869-903.
- David Romer, 1991. "Openness and inflation: theory and evidence," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Nov.
- David Romer, 1991. "Openness and Inflation: Theory and Evidence," NBER Working Papers 3936, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hakan Berument & Nazli Konac & Ozge Senay, 2007. "Openness and the Effectiveness of Monetary Policy: A Cross-country Analysis," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(4), pages 577-591.
- Hakan Berument & Burak Doan, 2003. "Openness and the effectiveness of monetary policy: empirical evidence from Turkey," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(4), pages 217-221.
- Burak Dogan & Hakan Berument, 2002. "Opennes and the Effectiveness of Monetary Policy : Empirical Evidence from Turkey," Working Papers 0204, Department of Economics, Bilkent University.
- Bruno Ćorić & Lena Malešević Perović & Vladimir Šimić, 2016. "Openness and the Strength of Monetary Transmission: International Evidence," Acta Oeconomica, Akadémiai Kiadó, Hungary, vol. 66(4), pages 639-659, December.
- Cukierman, Alex & Webb, Steven B & Neyapti, Bilin, 1992. "Measuring the Independence of Central Banks and Its Effect on Policy Outcomes," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 6(3), pages 353-398, September.
- Karras, Georgios, 1999. "Openness and the effects of monetary policy," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 13-26, January.
- Georgios Karras, 2001. "Openness to Trade and the Potency of Monetary Policy: How Strong is the Relationship?," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 61-73, January.
- Markus Brueckner & Daniel Lederman, 2015. "Trade Openness and Economic Growth: Panel Data Evidence from Sub-Saharan Africa," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 82, pages 1302-1323, December.
- repec:cem:jaecon:v:20:y:2017:n:1:p:121-140 is not listed on IDEAS Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:80847. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.