Application of the Multiregional Health Account for Germany - A financial equalization scheme to cope with lagging investments in German hospitals
Lagging investments in German hospitals have become a serious challenge in recent decades. The responsibility for investment financing lies with the German federal states, the “Bundeslaender”, due to the dualistic financing framework applying for German hospitals. Yet, hospital investments experience a field of tension between the availability of financial resources and necessary investments. A possible solution could be a financial equalization scheme for the health economy incorporating an earmarked fund for hospital investments. The rationale for such a system is that health economies of federal states do not represent single closed systems, but depend on interregional trade flows to supply patient treatment. The respective calculations in this paper are based on our recently compiled Multiregional Health Account for Germany. The model represents a satellite account of the health economy based on national accounts. Consequently, we are able to calculate spillover effects from patient treatment in federal states by conducting input-output analysis. Based on the results, we derive a sketch of a financial equalization scheme in order to ensure needs-based hospital infrastructure in German federal states.
|Date of creation:||May 2017|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schwärzler, Marion Cornelia & Kronenberg, Tobias, 2017.
"Basic Results of the Multiregional Health Account for Germany - Validation of Direct Effects of the Health Economy,"
80717, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Schwärzler, Marion Cornelia & Kronenberg, Tobias, 2017. "Basic Results of the Multiregional Health Account for Germany - Validation of Indirect Effects of the Health Economy," MPRA Paper 80719, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Umed Temurshoev & Marcel P. Timmer, 2011. "Joint estimation of supply and use tables," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 90(4), pages 863-882, November.
- Schwärzler, Marion Cornelia & Kronenberg, Tobias, 2017. "Methodology of the Multiregional Health Account for Germany - An Iterative Algorithm-Based Multiregionalization Approach of Supply and Use Tables with Emphasis on Health," MPRA Paper 80712, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Schwärzler, Marion Cornelia & Kronenberg, Tobias, 2016. "Methodology of the National Health Account for Germany - Database, compilation and results," MPRA Paper 73561, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:80720. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.