Organisational change and the computerisation of British and Spanish savings banks, 1965-1985
In this article we explore organisational changes associated with the automation of financial intermediaries in Spain and the UK. This international comparison looks at the evolution of the same organisational form in two distinct competitive environments. Changes in regulation and technological developments (particularly applications of information technology) are said to be responsible for enhancing competitiveness of retail finance. Archival research on the evolution of savings banks helps to ascertain how, prior to competitive changes taking place, participants in bank markets had to develop capabilities to compete.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Caminal, Ramon & Gual, Jordi & Vives, Xavier, 1989. "Competition in Spanish Banking," CEPR Discussion Papers 314, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gilbert, R Alton, 1984. "Bank Market Structure and Competition: A Survey," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 16(4), pages 617-44, November.
- Nicola Cetorelli, 2001. "Competition among banks: good or bad?," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Q II, pages 38-48.
- Joaquín Maudos Villarroya, 1991. "El Impacto Del Cambio Tecnologico En El Sistema Bancario: El Cajero Automatico," Working Papers. Serie EC 1991-10, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Bernardo Batiz-Lazo, 2004. "Strategic alliances and competitive edge: insights from Spanish and UK banking histories," Business History, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 46(1), pages 23-56.
- Canals, Jordi, 1994. "Competitive Strategies in European Banking," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198773504, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:804. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.