Organisational change and the computerisation of British and Spanish savings banks, circa 1965-1985
In this article we explore organisational changes associated with the computarization of British savings banks while making a running comparison with developments in Spain. This international comparison addresses the evolution of the same organisational form in two distinct competitive environments in the late 20th century. Changes in regulation and technological developments (particularly applications of information technology) are said to be responsible for enhancing competitiveness of retail finance. Archival research on the evolution of savings banks helps to ascertain how, prior to competitive changes taking place, participants in bank markets had to develop capabilities to compete. Moreover, assess the response of collaborative agreements to opportunities opened by technological change (in particular resolve apparent scale disadvantages to contest bank markets). Of particular interest are choices made between applications of computer technology to redefine the relation between head office and retail branches as well as between staff at retail branches and customers.
|Date of creation:||04 Apr 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Coopey, Richard (ed.), 2004. "Information Technology Policy: An International History," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199241057, April.
- Richard N. Langlois, 2003.
"The vanishing hand: the changing dynamics of industrial capitalism,"
Industrial and Corporate Change,
Oxford University Press, vol. 12(2), pages 351-385, April.
- Richard N. Langlois, 2001. "The Vanishing Hand: the Changing Dynamics of Industrial Capitalism," Economic History 0110001, EconWPA.
- Richard N. Langlois, 2002. "The Vanishing Hand: the Changing Dynamics of Industrial Capitalism," Working papers 2002-21, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Canals, Jordi, 1994. "Competitive Strategies in European Banking," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198773504, April.
- Fishlow, Albert, 1961. "The Trustee Savings Banks, 1817–1861," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(01), pages 26-40, March.
- Nightingale, Paul & Poll, Robert, 2000. "Innovation in Investment Banking: The Dynamics of Control Systems within the Chandlerian Firm," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 9(1), pages 113-141, March.
- Lamoreaux, Naomi R. & Raff, Daniel M. G. & Temin, Peter, 2004. "Against Whig History," Enterprise & Society, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(03), pages 376-387, September.
- Bernardo Batiz-Lazo, 2004. "Strategic alliances and competitive edge: insights from Spanish and UK banking histories," Business History, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 46(1), pages 23-56.
- Richard N. Langlois, 2007. "Organizing the Electronic Century," Working papers 2007-07, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Caminal, Ramon & Gual, Jordi & Vives, Xavier, 1989. "Competition in Spanish Banking," CEPR Discussion Papers 314, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:14479. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.