Web-based Corporate Reporting in Bangladesh:An Exploratory Study
This research paper investigates the utilization of the Internet for communicating corporate information by the listed companies of Bangladesh.The sample for the study consists of 268 companies listed on the Dhaka Stock Exchange (DSE) and the Chittagong Stock Exchange (CSE). Corporate websites of the sample companies were browsed by using a standard web browser for collecting data relating to corporate reporting on the Internet. The study shows that web-based corporate reporting in Bangladesh is still in its infancy. Only 38.81 percent of 268 companies have a web. A scoring scheme has been developed to measure the level of on-line corporate reporting. A wide variation in the level of on-line corporate reporting across 15 sectors has been found. The highest-ranking sector was the Banking, Leasing & Finance sector. This paper adds to the existing body of literature on on-line corporate reporting studies by exploring on-line corporate reporting practices of Bangladesh.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2007|
|Publication status:||Published in The Cost & Management 6.35(2008): pp. 29-45|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J. Geerings & L. H. H. Bollen & H. F. D. Hassink, 2003. "Investor relations on the Internet: a survey of the Euronext zone," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(3), pages 567-579.
- B. M. Craven & C. L. Marston, 1999. "Financial reporting on the Internet by leading UK companies," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(2), pages 321-333.
- Dominic Deller & Michael Stubenrath & Christoph Weber, 1999. "A survey on the use of the Internet for investor relations in the USA, the UK and Germany," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(2), pages 351-364.
- Catherine Gowthorpe & Oriol Amat, 1999. "External reporting of accounting and financial information via the Internet in Spain," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(2), pages 365-371.
- Debreceny, Roger & Gray, Glen L. & Rahman, Asheq, 2002. "The determinants of Internet financial reporting," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(4-5), pages 371-394.
- Pontus Hedlin, 1999. "The Internet as a vehicle for investor relations: the Swedish case," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(2), pages 373-381.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:7915. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.