Islamic REIT response to macroeconomic factors: a markov regime switching auto regressive approach
This paper intends to compare the returns of shariah-compliant (Islamic) REITs with non-shariah compliant REITs listed on the London Stock Exchange, Singapore Stock Exchange and Kuala Lumpur Stock Exchange (Malaysia) against the movement of US inflation and interest rates. A Markov regime switching auto regressive model is applied to capture the unobserved component present in the market during the sample period. The results tend to provide empirical evidence that while there exist different regimes in all three markets, the regimes for shariah compliant REITs on LSE is not well defined. Meanwhile the returns of shariah-compliant REITs are lower compared to non-shariah compliant REITs with US interest rates being significant in all three markets but US inflation rates significantly affecting only the LSE and SGX REITs.
|Date of creation:||25 Jun 2015|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alexis Guyot, 2011. "Efficiency and Dynamics of Islamic Investment: Evidence of Geopolitical Effects on Dow Jones Islamic Market Indexes," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 47(6), pages 24-45, November.
- Fatnassi, Ibrahim & Slim, Chaouachi & Ftiti, Zied & Ben Maatoug, Abderrazek, 2014. "Effects of monetary policy on the REIT returns: Evidence from the United Kingdom," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 15-26.
- Cetorelli, Nicola & Peristiani, Stavros, 2013.
"Prestigious stock exchanges: A network analysis of international financial centers,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 1543-1551.
- Nicola Cetorelli & Stavros Peristiani, 2009. "Prestigious stock exchanges: a network analysis of international financial centers," Staff Reports 384, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- James E. Payne, 2006. "The response of sub-sector REIT returns to shocks in fundamental state variables," Applied Financial Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 2(2), pages 71-75, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:65237. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.