El Nuevo Consenso Macroeconómico y la mediocridad del crecimiento económico en México
[New Consensus Macroeconomics and the mediocrity of economic growth in Mexico]
In this paper we study the theoretical model and its application as economic policy of the New Consensus Macroeconomics in Mexico. We focus in fiscal and monetary policy in the last 30 years. We critically revise empirical economic literature on the effects of the process of adjustment and reforms in Mexican economy after the burst of the debt crisis. Finally, we analyse the explanatory hypothesis about the low growth of Mexican economy related to the weakness of property right protection. Our main conclusion states that, given the preferences of price stability imposed by the central bank and the disdain of fiscal policy in areas such as public investment, agents do not invest due to the deterioration of expectations of future growth of the Mexican economy and low expected returns to investment.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carlos Ibarra, 2010. "Exporting without growing: Investment, real currency appreciation, and export-led growth in Mexico," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(3), pages 439-464.
- Demirel, Ufuk Devrim, 2010. "Macroeconomic stabilization in developing economies: Are optimal policies procyclical?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 54(3), pages 409-428, April.
- Gabriel Cuadra & Juan Sanchez & Horacio Sapriza, 2010.
"Fiscal Policy and Default Risk in Emerging Markets,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 13(2), pages 452-469, April.
- Gabriel Cuadra & Juan M. Sanchez & Horacio Sapriza, 2009. "Fiscal policy and default risk in emerging markets," Working Paper 09-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Gabriel Cuadra & Horacio Sapriza, 2007. "Fiscal Policy and Default Risk in Emerging Markets," Working Papers 2007-03, Banco de México.
- Juan M. Sanchez & Horacio Sapriza & Gabriel Cuadra, 2009. "Fiscal Policy and Default Risk in Emerging Markets," 2009 Meeting Papers 701, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Carlos Capistrán & Manuel Ramos Francia, 2007.
"Does Inflation Targeting Affect the Dispersion of Inflation Expectations?,"
2007-11, Banco de México.
- Carlos Capistrán & Manuel Ramos-Francia, 2010. "Does Inflation Targeting Affect the Dispersion of Inflation Expectations?," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 42(1), pages 113-134, 02.
- N. G. Mankiw., 2009.
"The Macroeconomist as Scientist and Engineer,"
N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 5.
- N. Gregory Mankiw, 2006. "The Macroeconomist as Scientist and Engineer," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2121, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- N. Gregory Mankiw, 2006. "The Macroeconomist as Scientist and Engineer," NBER Working Papers 12349, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christopher W. Crowe, 2006.
"Testing the Transparency Benefits of Inflation Targeting; Evidence from Private Sector Forecasts,"
IMF Working Papers
06/289, International Monetary Fund.
- Crowe, Christopher, 2010. "Testing the transparency benefits of inflation targeting: Evidence from private sector forecasts," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 226-232, March.
- Carlos Capistrán & Manuel Ramos Francia, 2006.
"Inflation Dynamics in Latin America,"
2006-11, Banco de México.
- Brito, Ricardo D. & Bystedt, Brianne, 2010.
"Inflation targeting in emerging economies: Panel evidence,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 198-210, March.
- Bystedt, Brianne & Brito, Ricardo D., 2008. "Inflation targeting in emerging economies: Panel evidence," Insper Working Papers wpe_125, Insper Working Paper, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
- Marvin Goodfriend, 2007.
"How the World Achieved Consensus on Monetary Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
13580, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marvin Goodfriend, 2007. "How the World Achieved Consensus on Monetary Policy," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 21(4), pages 47-68, Fall.
- Luke Byrne Willard, 2011.
"Does Inflation Targeting Matter? A Reassessment,"
- Gordon H. Hanson, 2010.
"Why Isn't Mexico Rich?,"
NBER Working Papers
16470, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alvaro Angeriz & Philip Arestis, 2009. "The consensus view on interest rates and fiscal policy: reality or innocent fraud?," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 31(4), pages 567-586, July.
- Olivier J. Blanchard, 2008.
"The State of Macro,"
NBER Working Papers
14259, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- M. Woodford., 2010.
"Convergence in Macroeconomics: Elements of the New Synthesis,"
N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 10.
- Michael Woodford, 2009. "Convergence in Macroeconomics: Elements of the New Synthesis," American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics, American Economic Association, vol. 1(1), pages 267-79, January.
- Carlos A. Carrasco & Jesus Ferreiro, 2013. "Inflation targeting in Mexico," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 35(3), pages 341-372, April.
- Carlos A. Carrasco & Jesus Ferreiro, 2013. "Inflation targeting and inflation expectations in Mexico," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(23), pages 3295-3304, August.
- Noriega, Antonio & Fontenla, Matías, 2007. "La infraestructura y el crecimiento económico en México," El Trimestre Económico, Fondo de Cultura Económica, vol. 0(296), pages 885-900, octubre-d.
- Malcolm Sawyer, 2009. "Fiscal and interest rate policies in the "new consensus" framework: a different perspective," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 31(4), pages 549-565, July.
- Carlos A. Carrasco & JesÃºs Ferreiro, 2011. "Inflation Targeting and Economic Performance: The Case of Mexico," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 58(5), pages 675-692, December.
- Carl E. Walsh, 2009. "Inflation Targeting: What Have We Learned?," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(2), pages 195-233, 08.
- Todd E. Clark & Taisuke Nakata, 2008. "Has the behavior of inflation and long-term inflation expectations changed?," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q I, pages 17-50.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:53391. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.