Investment Opportunity Sets of Real Assets: An International Empirical Study Based on Ownership Types
This paper is the first, to our knowledge, to make the distinction between the investment opportunity set of real assets versus portfolio securities. We perform a large scale formal investigation of the investment opportunity set in global acquisitions based on ownership type over the period of 1985 – 2012. Compared to private acquirers, government acquirers have a much reduced investment opportunity set. Government acquirers invest in fewer target nations and industries, settle for smaller stakes, invest in countries with lower quality legal institutions and in nations with which political relations are more positive and see a 50% higher deal failure rate.
|Date of creation:||02 Feb 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mitchell A. Petersen, 2005.
"Estimating Standard Errors in Finance Panel Data Sets: Comparing Approaches,"
NBER Working Papers
11280, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mitchell A. Petersen, 2009. "Estimating Standard Errors in Finance Panel Data Sets: Comparing Approaches," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(1), pages 435-480, January.
- U. Weitzel & S. Berns, 2006.
"Cross-Border Takeovers, Corruption, and Related Aspects of Governance,"
06-03, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Utz Weitzel & Sjors Berns, 2006. "Cross-border takeovers, corruption, and related aspects of governance," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(6), pages 786-806, November.
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey & Christian Lundblad, 2001.
"Does Financial Liberalization Spur Growth?,"
NBER Working Papers
8245, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pavel G. Savor & Qi Lu, 2009. "Do Stock Mergers Create Value for Acquirers?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 64(3), pages 1061-1097, 06.
- Jason Kotter & Ugur Lel, 2008.
"Friends or foes? The stock price impact of sovereign wealth fund investments and the price of keeping secrets,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
940, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Kotter, Jason & Lel, Ugur, 2011. "Friends or foes? Target selection decisions of sovereign wealth funds and their consequences," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 101(2), pages 360-381, August.
- Paul H. Malatesta & Kathryn L. DeWenter, 2001. "State-Owned and Privately Owned Firms: An Empirical Analysis of Profitability, Leverage, and Labor Intensity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(1), pages 320-334, March.
- Knill, April & Lee, Bong-Soo & Mauck, Nathan, 2012. "Bilateral political relations and sovereign wealth fund investment," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 108-123.
- Megginson, William L & Nash, Robert C & van Randenborgh, Matthias, 1994. " The Financial and Operating Performance of Newly Privatized Firms: An International Empirical Analysis," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(2), pages 403-52, June.
- Li, Donghui & Nguyen, Quang N. & Pham, Peter K. & Wei, Steven X., 2011. "Large Foreign Ownership and Firm-Level Stock Return Volatility in Emerging Markets," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 46(04), pages 1127-1155, September.
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:109:y:1994:i:4:p:995-1025 is not listed on IDEAS
- G. Andrew Karolyi & Rose C. Liao, 2010. "What is Different about Government-Controlled Acquirers in Cross-Border Acquisitions?," Working Papers 2010.38, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Ron Alquist & Rahul Mukherjee & Linda Tesar, 2013.
"Fire-sale FDI or Business as Usual?,"
NBER Working Papers
18837, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ron Alquist & Rahul Mukherjee & Linda L. Tesar, 2015. "Fire-Sale FDI or Business as Usual?," Working Papers 645, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Ron Alquist & Rahul Mukherjee & Linda Tesar, 2013. "Fire-Sale FDI or Business as Usual?," Staff Working Papers 13-17, Bank of Canada.
- Knill, April M. & Lee, Bong Soo & Mauck, Nathan, 2012. "Sovereign wealth fund investment and the return-to-risk performance of target firms," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 315-340.
- Rossi, Stefano & Volpin, Paolo, 2003.
"Cross-Country Determinants of Mergers and Acquisitions,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3889, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rossi, Stefano & Volpin, Paolo F., 2004. "Cross-country determinants of mergers and acquisitions," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 277-304, November.
- Murali DR Chari & Kiyoung Chang, 2009. "Determinants of the share of equity sought in cross-border acquisitions," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 40(8), pages 1277-1297, October.
- Sofia A Johan & April Knill & Nathan Mauck, 2013. "Determinants of sovereign wealth fund investment in private equity vs public equity," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 44(2), pages 155-172, February.
- Chen, Gongmeng & Firth, Michael & Xin, Yu & Xu, Liping, 2008. "Control Transfers, Privatization, and Corporate Performance: Efficiency Gains in China's Listed Companies," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 43(01), pages 161-190, March.
- Dewenter, Kathryn L. & Han, Xi & Malatesta, Paul H., 2010. "Firm values and sovereign wealth fund investments," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 256-278, November.
- D'Souza, Juliet & Megginson, William & Nash, Robert, 2005. "Effect of institutional and firm-specific characteristics on post-privatization performance: Evidence from developed countries," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(5), pages 747-766, October.
- Quan Li & Tatiana Vashchilko, 2010. "Dyadic military conflict, security alliances, and bilateral FDI flows," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 41(5), pages 765-782, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:53359. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.