The Demand for Treasury Securities at Auction
This study empirically analyzes the demand for Treasury securities at auctions over the period October 1998 through July 2010 from the perspective of bid composition and the influence of demand at auction on the secondary market. The results show that the demand at auction, measured by bid dispersion, is positively related to the bid-to-cover ratio but is negatively associated with the percentage of accepted competitive bids as well as the percentage of noncompetitive bids. Post-auction returns are positively related to demand at auction. The findings suggest the existence of arbitrage opportunities resulting from the price discrepancy between the auction and the secondary market when the demand for Treasury securities at auction is high.
|Date of creation:||13 Sep 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Academy of Economics and Finance Journal 1.3(2012): pp. 23-32|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kjell G. Nyborg & Ilya A. Strebulaev, 2003.
"Multiple Unit Auctions and Short Squeezes,"
2003.27, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Professor Paul Klemperer, 2000.
"What Really Matters in Auction Design,"
- Goldreich, David, 2007. "Underpricing in Discriminatory and Uniform-Price Treasury Auctions," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 42(02), pages 443-466, June.
- Michael J. Fleming, 2007. "Who buys Treasury securities at auction?," Current Issues in Economics and Finance, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, vol. 13(Jan).
- Lise Godbout & Paul Storer & Christian Zimmermann, 1999.
"The Canadian Treasury Bill Auction and the Term Structure of Interest Rates,"
Cahiers de recherche CREFE / CREFE Working Papers
75, CREFE, Université du Québec à Montréal.
- Godbout, Lise & Storer, Paul & Zimmermann, Christian, 2002. "The Canadian treasury bill auction and the term structure of interest rates," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 1165-1179, June.
- Nyborg, Kjell G. & Sundaresan, Suresh, 1996. "Discriminatory versus uniform Treasury auctions: Evidence from when-issued transactions," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 63-104, September.
- Cammack, Elizabeth B, 1991. "Evidence on Bidding Strategies and the Information in Treasury Bill Auctions," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(1), pages 100-130, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:52026. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.