The relationship between people’s attitude and willingness to pay for river conservation
This research advances the understanding of people’s attitude towards water resources valuation. Specifically, it aims to improve confidence in the interpretation of people’s willingness to pay (WTP) for water resources protection by enhancing understanding of value relationships. Primary data were obtained from a sample of 510 people living in and visiting the Pinios River in the eastern part of Central Greece. Respondents’ behavior was explored by measuring and comparing use and non-use values with the help of a proposed constructed scale for measuring the dimensions of Total Economic Value of a water resource. For this purpose, a combination of applied methodological research techniques like Principal Component and Cluster Analyses together with logistic regression was used. The results indicated the relative importance of particular value components in determining water resources conservation preferences, as well as individuals’ WTP for protecting them. We have extracted four factors and explored their influence on respondents’ WTP and the general attitude towards the area. There were high associations between WTP of individuals towards river protection in relation to their characteristics (like education, income and origin).
|Date of creation:||Jul 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Carson & Nicholas Flores & Norman Meade, 2001.
"Contingent Valuation: Controversies and Evidence,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 19(2), pages 173-210, June.
- Carson, Richard T & Flores, Nicholas A, 2000. "Contingent Valuation: Controversies and Evidence," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt75k752s7, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Kevin J. Boyle & Richard C. Bishop & Michael P. Welsh, 1985. "Starting Point Bias in Contingent Valuation Bidding Games," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 62(2), pages 188-194.
- Anna Alberini & Paolo Rosato & Alberto Longo & Valentina Zanatta, 2005.
"Information and Willingness to Pay in a Contingent Valuation Study: The Value of S. Erasmo in the Lagoon of Venice,"
Journal of Environmental Planning and Management,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 48(2), pages 155-175.
- Anna Alberini & Paolo Rosato & Alberto Longo & Valentina Zanatta, 2004. "Information and Willingness to Pay in a Contingent Valuation Study: The Value of S. Erasmo in the Lagoon of Venice," Working Papers 2004.19, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Zhongmin, Xu & Guodong, Cheng & Zhiqiang, Zhang & Zhiyong, Su & Loomis, John, 2003. "Applying contingent valuation in China to measure the total economic value of restoring ecosystem services in Ejina region," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(2-3), pages 345-358, March.
- Corbae,Dean & Durlauf,Steven N. & Hansen,Bruce E. (ed.), 2006. "Econometric Theory and Practice," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521807234, Junio.
- Ian Langford* & Areti Kontogianni & Mihalis Skourtos & Stavros Georgiou & Ian Bateman, 1998. "Multivariate Mixed Models for Open-Ended Contingent Valuation Data: Willingness To Pay For Conservation of Monk Seals," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 12(4), pages 443-456, December.
- Donald H. Rosenthal & Robert H. Nelson, 1992. "Why existence value should not be used in cost-benefit analysis," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(1), pages 116-122.
- Markus Bliem & Michael Getzner, 2012. "Willingness-to-pay for river restoration: differences across time and scenarios," Environmental Economics and Policy Studies, Springer;Society for Environmental Economics and Policy Studies - SEEPS, vol. 14(3), pages 241-260, July.
- Turner, R. Kerry & van den Bergh, Jeroen C. J. M. & Soderqvist, Tore & Barendregt, Aat & van der Straaten, Jan & Maltby, Edward & van Ierland, Ekko C., 2000. "Ecological-economic analysis of wetlands: scientific integration for management and policy," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 7-23, October.
- P.M.S. Jones, 1994. "The Value of Diversity," Energy & Environment, SAGE Publishing, vol. 5(3), pages 215-225, September.
- Hanley, Nicholas & Jacobsen, Jette Bredahl, 2008.
"Are there income effects on global willingness to pay for biodiversity conservation?,"
Stirling Economics Discussion Papers
2008-03, University of Stirling, Division of Economics.
- Jette Jacobsen & Nick Hanley, 2009. "Are There Income Effects on Global Willingness to Pay for Biodiversity Conservation?," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 43(2), pages 137-160, June.
- Steinnes, Donald N, 1992. "Measuring the Economic Value of Water Quality: The Case of Lakeshore Land," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 26(2), pages 171-76, June.
- I J Bateman & I H Langford, 1997.
"Budget-Constraint, Temporal, and Question-Ordering Effects in Contingent Valuation Studies,"
Environment and Planning A,
SAGE Publishing, vol. 29(7), pages 1215-1228, July.
- I J Bateman & I H Langford, 1997. "Budget-constraint, temporal, and question-ordering effects in contingent valuation studies," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 29(7), pages 1215-1228, July.
- Halkos, George, 2012. "Assessing the economic value of protecting artificial lakes," MPRA Paper 39557, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Anton Paulrud & Thomas Laitila, 2004. "Valuation of management policies for sport-fishing on Sweden's Kaitum river," Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(6), pages 863-879.
- Howarth, Richard B. & Farber, Stephen, 2002. "Accounting for the value of ecosystem services," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 421-429, June.
- Nils Soguel & Marc-Jean Martin & Alexandre Tangerini, 2008. "The Impact of Housing Market Segmentation between Tourists and Residents on the Hedonic Price for Landscape Quality," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 144(IV), pages 655-678, December.
- Loomis, John & Kent, Paula & Strange, Liz & Fausch, Kurt & Covich, Alan, 2000. "Measuring the total economic value of restoring ecosystem services in an impaired river basin: results from a contingent valuation survey," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 103-117, April.
- Cummings, Ronald G & Harrison, Glenn W & Rutstrom, E Elisabet, 1995. "Homegrown Values and Hypothetical Surveys: Is the Dichotomous Choice Approach Incentive-Compatible?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(1), pages 260-66, March.
- Vail, David & Heldt, Tobias, 2004. "Governing snowmobilers in multiple-use landscapes: Swedish and Maine (USA) cases," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(4), pages 469-483, April.
- Hanemann, W. Michael, 1989. "Information and the concept of option value," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 23-37, January.
- Desvousges, William H. & Smith, V. Kerry & Fisher, Ann, 1987. "Option price estimates for water quality improvements: A contingent valuation study for the monongahela river," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 248-267, September.
- Kotchen, Matthew J. & Reiling, Stephen D., 2000. "Environmental attitudes, motivations, and contingent valuation of nonuse values: a case study involving endangered species," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 93-107, January.
- David S. Brookshire & Larry S. Eubanks & Alan Randall, 1983. "Estimating Option Prices and Existence Values for Wildlife Resources," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 59(1), pages 1-15.
- Kataria, Mitesh, 2009. "Willingness to pay for environmental improvements in hydropower regulated rivers," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 69-76, January.
- Ninan, K.N. & Sathyapalan, Jyothis, 2005. "The economics of biodiversity conservation: a study of a coffee growing region in the Western Ghats of India," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 61-72, October.
- Richard C. Bishop & Michael P. Welsh, 1992. "Existence Values in Benefit-Cost Analysis and Damage Assessment," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 68(4), pages 405-417.
- Bateman, Ian J. & Day, Brett H. & Georgiou, Stavros & Lake, Iain, 2006. "The aggregation of environmental benefit values: Welfare measures, distance decay and total WTP," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 450-460, December.
- Ojeda, Monica Ilija & Mayer, Alex S. & Solomon, Barry D., 2008. "Economic valuation of environmental services sustained by water flows in the Yaqui River Delta," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 155-166, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:50560. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.