Stock Market Development and Capital Accumulation: Does Law Matter? A Case Study of India
Stock market development has been an important part of financial liberalisation in the less developed countries (LDCs). In the pro-liberalisation circle, stock market is assigned to play an important role in the capitalist development of the LDCs. This is also true for the liberalisation regime of India. With the recognition of the importance of stock market in economic development there is a call for a better protection of the interests of the shareholders. In this perspective we shall examine whether share market developments have any long-term relationship with capital accumulation and whether legal changes promoting the interest of the shareholders exerted any long-term effect on Indian share market developments.
|Date of creation:||06 Feb 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ross Levine & Sara Zervos, .
"Stock markets, banks and economic growth ,"
CERF Discussion Paper Series
95-11, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Thorsten Beck & Asli Demirguc-Kunt & Ross Levine, 2002.
"Law and Finance: why Does Legal Origin Matter?,"
NBER Working Papers
9379, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Singh, Ajit, 1996.
"Financial liberalisation,stockmarkets and economic development,"
53897, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ajit Singh, 1998. "Financial liberalisation, stockmarkets and economic development," Nova Economia, Economics Department, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais (Brazil), vol. 8(1), pages 165-182.
- Singh, Ajit, 1997. "Financial Liberalisation, Stockmarkets and Economic Development," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(442), pages 771-82, May.
- Perron, P., 1994.
"Further Evidence on Breaking Trend Functions in Macroeconomic Variables,"
Cahiers de recherche
9421, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Perron, Pierre, 1997. "Further evidence on breaking trend functions in macroeconomic variables," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 355-385, October.
- Perron, P., 1990. "Further Evidence On Breaking Trend Functions In Macroeconomics Variables," Papers 350, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Perron, P., 1994. "Further Evidence on Breaking Trend Functions in Macroeconomic Variables," Cahiers de recherche 9421, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:5052. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.