Poverty of the Ethnic Minorities in Vietnam: Situation and Challenges from the Poorest Communes
This study examines the poverty of the ethnic minorities in the poorest areas in Vietnam. We find that the ethnic minority now constitute more than a half of the poor population, though they account for around 14.5 percent of the population,. The share of the poor ethnic minorities in the total poor has steadily increased from 18 percent in the early 1990s up to 56 percent recently. Our decomposition analysis shows that differences in characteristics could explain as much as one third of the income gap between the majority and all other ethnic minorities groups. Importantly, it implies that poverty of the ethnic minorities cannot be solved simply by investment in infrastructures and public services. This suggests an awaking alarm for the focus on provision of basic infrastructure and public services emphasized in most of the current policies and programmes for ethnic minorities.
|Date of creation:||20 Dec 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- World Bank, 2003. "Vietnam Development Report 2004 : Poverty," World Bank Other Operational Studies 14651, The World Bank.
- Bob Baulch & Hoa Thi Minh Nguyen & Hung Thai Pham & Phuong Thu Thi Phuong, 2011. "Ethnic Minority Poverty in Vietnam," Working Papers id:3426, eSocialSciences.
- Adam Wagstaff & Eddy van Doorslaer, 2003. "Catastrophe and impoverishment in paying for health care: with applications to Vietnam 1993-1998," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(11), pages 921-933.
- Bob Baulch & Truong Thi Kim Chuyen & Dominique Haughton & Jonathan Haughton, 2007. "Ethnic minority development in Vietnam," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(7), pages 1151-1176.
- Gunewardena, Dileni & Van de Walle, Dominique, 2000.
"Sources of ethnic inequality in Vietnam,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2297, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:50372. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.