Ethnic Minorities in Northern Mountains of Vietnam: Poverty, Income and Assets
This study examines the asset and income pattern of poor ethnic minorities in Northern Mountains of Vietnam using data from a 2010 Northern Mountain Baseline Survey (NMBS) of the Second Northern Mountains Poverty Reduction Project and Vietnam Household Living Standard Survey (VHLSS) 2010. The poor ethnic minorities in Northern Mountains have lower assets and income than ethnic minorities in other regions. Their income is mainly from crops and livestock. Compared with Kinh/Hoa and ethnic minorities in other regions, poor ethnic minorities in Northern Mountain have substantially lower income from wages and non-farm activities. The difference in the income gap between Northern Mountain ethnic minorities and other households is mainly explained by the gap in wages and non-farm income. Northern Mountain ethnic minorities spend less time on wages and non-farm employment. Compared with other households, their non-farm income per working hours and also farm income per working hours is substantially lower.
|Date of creation:||20 Feb 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ren Mu & Dominique van de Walle, 2011. "Rural Roads and Local Market Development in Vietnam," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(5), pages 709-734.
- Finan, Frederico & Sadoulet, Elisabeth & de Janvry, Alain, 2002.
"Measuring the poverty reduction potential of land in rural Mexico,"
CUDARE Working Paper Series
983, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Finan, Frederico & Sadoulet, Elisabeth & de Janvry, Alain, 2005. "Measuring the poverty reduction potential of land in rural Mexico," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 27-51, June.
- Finan, Frederico & Sadoulet, Elisabeth & de Janvry, Alain, 2002. "Measuring the Poverty Reduction Potential of Land in Rural Mexico," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt6xg1q0dg, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- van de Walle, Dominique & Gunewardena, Dileni, 2001.
"Sources of ethnic inequality in Viet Nam,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 177-207, June.
- Bob Baulch & Hoa Thi Minh Nguyen & Hung Thai Pham & Phuong Thu Thi Phuong, 2011. "Ethnic Minority Poverty in Vietnam," Working Papers id:3426, eSocialSciences.
- Bob Baulch & Truong Thi Kim Chuyen & Dominique Haughton & Jonathan Haughton, 2007. "Ethnic minority development in Vietnam," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(7), pages 1151-1176.
- Pham Thai, Hung & Le Dang, Trung & Nguyen Viet, Cuong, 2010. "Poverty of the Ethnic Minorities in Vietnam: Situation and Challenges from the Poorest Communes," MPRA Paper 50372, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Van de Walle, Dominique, 2000.
"Choosing rural road investments to help reduce poverty,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2458, The World Bank.
- van de Walle, Dominique, 2002. "Choosing Rural Road Investments to Help Reduce Poverty," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 575-589, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:40769. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.