A Neo-Kaldorian Approach to Structural Economic Dynamics
Although the Structural Economic Dynamic approach provides a simultaneous consideration of demand and supply sides of economic growth, it does not take into fully account the possible role played by demand in the generation of technical progress. From a neo-Kaldorian perspective, this paper seeks to establish the concepts of demand and productivity regimes in an open version of the pure labour Pasinettian model. In order to derive the demand regime, a disaggregated version of the Keynesian multiplier is derived for an open economy, while the productivity regime is built in terms of disaggregated Kaldor-Verdoorn’s laws. The upshot is a multi-sector growth model of structural change and cumulative causation, in which an open version of the Pasinettian model may be obtained as a particular case. Besides, it is highlighted that the evolution of demand patterns, while being affected by differential rates of productivity growth in different sectors of the economy, also play an important role to establish the pace of technical progress.
|Date of creation:||11 Sep 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anthony P. Thirlwall, 2011.
"The Balance of Payments Constraint as an Explanation of International Growth Rate Differences,"
PSL Quarterly Review,
Economia civile, vol. 64(259), pages 429-438.
- Anthony Philip Thirlwall, 1979. "The Balance of Payments Constraint as an Explanation of International Growth Rate Differences," BNL Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 32(128), pages 45-53.
- Anthony Philip Thirlwall, 1979. "The Balance of Payments Constraint as an Explanation of International Growth Rate Differences," Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 32(128), pages 45-53.
- L. Rachel Ngai & Christopher Pissarides, 2005.
"Structural change in a multi-sector model of growth,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
4656, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- L. Rachel Ngai & Christopher A. Pissarides, 2007. "Structural Change in a Multisector Model of Growth," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(1), pages 429-443, March.
- L. Rachel Ngai & Christopher Pissarides, 2004. "Structural change in a multi-sector model of growth," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 3550, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- L. Rachel Ngai & Christopher Pissarides, 2007. "Structural change in a multi-sector model of growth," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 4468, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Ngai, Liwa Rachel & Pissarides, Christopher, 2004. "Structural Change in a Multi-Sector Model of Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 4763, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ngai, L. Rachel & Pissarides, Christopher A., 2005. "Structural Change in a Multi-Sector Model of Growth," IZA Discussion Papers 1800, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Silva, Ester G. & Teixeira, Aurora A.C., 2008.
"Surveying structural change: Seminal contributions and a bibliometric account,"
Structural Change and Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 273-300, December.
- Ester Gomes da Silva & Aurora A.C. Teixeira, 2006. "Surveying structural change: seminal contributions and a bibliometric account," FEP Working Papers 232, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Echevarria, Cristina, 1997. "Changes in Sectoral Composition Associated with Economic Growth," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 38(2), pages 431-52, May.
- Araujo, Ricardo Azevedo, 2013.
"Cumulative causation in a structural economic dynamic approach to economic growth and uneven development,"
Structural Change and Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier, vol. 24(C), pages 130-140.
- Araujo, Ricardo, 2011. "Cumulative Causation in a Structural Economic Dynamic Approach to Economic Growth and Uneven Development," MPRA Paper 29960, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Margaret S. McMillan & Dani Rodrik, 2011.
"Globalization, Structural Change and Productivity Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
17143, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- McMillan, Margaret & Rodrik, Dani, 2012. "Globalization, structural change, and productivity growth:," IFPRI discussion papers 1160, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Young, Allyn A., 1928. "Increasing Returns and Economic Progress," History of Economic Thought Articles, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, vol. 38, pages 527-542.
- A. P. Thirlwall, 1983. "A Plain Man's Guide to Kaldor's Growth Laws," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 5(3), pages 345-358, April.
- Andrew Trigg & Frederic Lee, 2005. "Pasinetti, Keynes and the multiplier," Review of Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(1), pages 29-43.
- Luigi L. Pasinetti, 2005. "The Cambridge School of Keynesian Economics," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 29(6), pages 837-848, November.
- Ricardo Azevedo Araujo & Gilberto Tadeu Lima, 2007.
"A structural economic dynamics approach to balance-of-payments-constrained growth,"
Cambridge Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 31(5), pages 755-774, September.
- Ricardo Azevedo Araujo & Gilberto Tadeu Lima, 2006. "A Structural Economic Dynamics Approach To Balance-Of-Payments-Constrained Growth," Anais do XXXIV Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 34th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 119, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Dixon, R & Thirlwall, A P, 1975. "A Model of Regional Growth-Rate Differences on Kaldorian Lines," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 27(2), pages 201-14, July.
- Ricardo Azevedo Araujo & Joanilio Rodolpho Teixeira, 2004. "A Pasinettian approach to international economic relations: the pure labor case," Review of Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(1), pages 117-129.
- Mark Setterfield, 2010. "Endogenous Growth: A Kaldorian Approach," Working Papers 1001, Trinity College, Department of Economics.
- Cornwall, John & Cornwall, Wendy, 2002. "A demand and supply analysis of productivity growth," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 203-229, June.
- Robert A. Blecker, 2009. "Long-Run Growth in Open Economies: Export-Led Cumulative Causation or a Balance-of-Payments Constraint?," Working Papers 2009-23, American University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:49758. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.