Financial Holding Company Structure for India
Indian banking sector is passing through another crucial phase in its evolution with the Reserve Bank of India proposing the formation of holding companies in banking groups. This paper offers an analytical discussion about the proposed financial holding company (FHC) or banking holding company (BHC) that is claimed to offer considerable advantages as the banks will be much better protected against possible adverse effects from the activities of their non-banking financial subsidiaries. The paper recommends that the financial holding company (FHC) model ought to be pursued as a preferred model for the financial sector in India. In addition, the FHC model can be extended to all large financial groups – irrespective of whether they contain a bank or not. Accordingly, there can be Banking FHCs controlling a bank and Non-banking FHCs, which do not contain a bank in the group.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Black, Fischer & Miller, Merton H & Posner, Richard A, 1978. "An Approach to the Regulation of Bank Holding Companies," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 51(3), pages 379-412, July.
- Stiroh, Kevin J., 2000. "How did bank holding companies prosper in the 1990s?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(11), pages 1703-1745, November.
- Xavier Freixas & Gyöngyi Lóránth & Alan D. Morrison, 2005.
"Regulating financial conglomerates,"
Economics Working Papers
820, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Freixas, Xavier & Lóránth, Gyöngyi & Morrison, Alan, 2005. "Regulating Financial Conglomerates," CEPR Discussion Papers 5036, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Xavier Freixas & GyÃ¶ngyi LÃ³rÃ¡nth & Alan D. Morrison, 2005. "Regulating Financial Conglomerates," OFRC Working Papers Series 2005fe03, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Xavier Freixas & Gyongyi Loranth & Alan D. Morrison & Hyun Song Shin, 2004. "Regulating Financial Conglomerates," Working Paper Research 54, National Bank of Belgium.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:47515. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.