Financial development and manufactured exports: the african experience
Using a sample of twenty nine African countries for which adequate time series data are available this paper explores the nexus between financial development and manufactured exports. This particular relationship is especially important in the context of Africa since export diversification away from resources and agriculture is an important part of Africa’s growth strategy. Our results show that in eleven countries financial development causes manufactured exports and manufactured exports causes financial development in seven countries. We then explore reasons for these findings and find that a rich and surprising set of factors explain our findings.
|Date of creation:||22 Apr 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kletzer, Kenneth & Bardhan, Pranab, 1986.
"Credit Markets and Patterns of International Trade,"
Department of Economics, Working Paper Series
qt1g36f3sd, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Kletzer, Kenneth & Bardhan, Pranab, 1987. "Credit markets and patterns of international trade," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1-2), pages 57-70, October.
- Kenneth Kletzer and Pranab Bardhan., 1986. "Credit Markets and Patterns of International Trade," Economics Working Papers 8612, University of California at Berkeley.
- ALLEN, Franklin & CARLETTI, Elena & CULL, Robert & QIAN, Jun & SENBET, Lemma & VALENZUELA, Patricio, 2012.
"Resolving the African Financial Development Gap: Cross-country comparisons and a within-country study of Kenya,"
Economics Working Papers
ECO2012/15, European University Institute.
- Franklin Allen & Elena Carletti & Robert Cull & Jun "QJ" Qian & Lemma Senbet & Patricio Valenzuela, 2014. "Resolving the African Financial Development Gap: Cross-Country Comparisons and a Within-Country Study of Kenya," NBER Chapters, in: African Successes: Modernization and Development, Volume 3 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Franklin Allen & Elena Carletti & Robert Cull & Jun Qian & Lemma Senbet & Patricio Valenzuela, 2012. "Resolving the African Financial Development Gap: Cross-Country Comparisons and a Within-Country Study of Kenya," NBER Working Papers 18013, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Allen, Franklin & Carletti, Elena & Cull, Robert & Qian, Jun & Senbet, Lemma & Valenzuela, Patricio, 2013. "Resolving the African financial development gap : cross-country comparisons and a within-country study of Kenya," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6592, The World Bank.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996.
"Law and Finance,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1768, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," NBER Working Papers 5661, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1998. "Law and Finance," Scholarly Articles 3451310, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, . "Law and Finance," Working Paper 19451, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Yongfu Huang & Jonathan Temple, 2005.
"Does external trade promote financial development?,"
Bristol Economics Discussion Papers
05/575, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Huang, Yongfu & Temple, Jonathan, 2005. "Does External Trade Promote Financial Development?," CEPR Discussion Papers 5150, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Guillermo Ordoñez, 2013.
"The Asymmetric Effects of Financial Frictions,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 121(5), pages 844 - 895.
- Hur, Jung & Raj, Manoj & Riyanto, Yohanes E., 2006. "Finance and trade: A cross-country empirical analysis on the impact of financial development and asset tangibility on international trade," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(10), pages 1728-1741, October.
- Beck, Thorsten, 2001.
"Financial development and international trade : is there a link?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2608, The World Bank.
- Beck, Thorsten, 2002. "Financial development and international trade: Is there a link?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 107-131, June.
- Mookerjee, Rajen & Kalipioni, Paul, 2010. "Availability of financial services and income inequality: The evidence from many countries," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 404-408, December.
- Thorsten Beck, 2003.
"Financial Dependence and International Trade,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(2), pages 296-316, 05.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:46474. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.