Why Guyana's self discovery is the missing link in its development strategy
The paper attempts to indentify the constraints to growth in Guyana using the Hausmann et al (2005) methodology. Although Guyana suffers from low domestic savings and high interest rate spreads, the paper argues that high cost of finance is a non-binding constraint on entrepreneurial activity. The paper concludes that market failures such as information externalities is a binding constraint on growth in Guyana. It explains the country’s static economic structure and why the composition of its export basket has not changed in 46 years. The paper recommends non-competitive policies to stimulate structural transformation and to internalise the information externalities.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hausmann, Ricardo & Pritchett, Lant & Rodrik, Dani, 2004.
Working Paper Series
rwp04-030, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Abdul Qayyum & Idrees Khawaja & Asma Hyder, 2008.
"Growth Diagnostics in Pakistan,"
2008:47, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
- Ricardo Hausmann & Dani Rodrik, 2002.
"Economic Development as Self-Discovery,"
NBER Working Papers
8952, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hausmann, Ricardo & Rodrik, Dani, 2002. "Economic Development as Self-Discovery," Working Paper Series rwp02-023, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Hausmann, Ricardo & Rodrik, Dani, 2002. "Economic Development as Self Discovery," CEPR Discussion Papers 3356, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ebrima Faal, 2003. "Currency Demand, the Underground Economy, and Tax Evasion; The Case of Guyana," IMF Working Papers 03/7, International Monetary Fund.
- Khemraj, Tarron, 2007. "The missing link: the finance-growth nexus and the Guyanese growth stagnation," MPRA Paper 16342, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:44205. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.