Strategic Asset Allocation for Central Bank’s Management of Foreign Reserves: A new approach
This paper proposes a new approach to strategic asset allocation for central banks’ management of foreign reserves. This eclectic approach combines the behavioural portfolio management in the framework of mean-variance mental accounting (MVMA) with the improvements on asset return forecast offered by the Black-Litterman (B-L) model, proving particularly suitable for the reserve management policy with multiple objectives. The B-L model is embedded into the MVMA framework to obtain both the equilibrium and the B-L returns as our improved forecasts, formulating forward-looking investment strategies. The approach is applied to the case of China to derive optimal asset allocation for the Chinese central bank.
|Date of creation:||21 Dec 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Das, Sanjiv & Markowitz, Harry & Scheid, Jonathan & Statman, Meir, 2010. "Portfolio Optimization with Mental Accounts," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 45(02), pages 311-334, April.
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, 03.
- Best, Michael J & Grauer, Robert R, 1991. "On the Sensitivity of Mean-Variance-Efficient Portfolios to Changes in Asset Means: Some Analytical and Computational Results," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 4(2), pages 315-42.
- Shefrin, Hersh & Statman, Meir, 2000. "Behavioral Portfolio Theory," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 35(02), pages 127-151, June.
- Barros Fernandes, José Luiz & Haas Ornelas, José Renato & Martínez Cusicanqui, Oscar Augusto, 2012.
"Combining equilibrium, resampling, and analyst’s views in portfolio optimization,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 1354-1361.
- José Luis Barros Fernandes & José Renato Haas Ornelas & Oscar Augusto Martínez Cusicanqui, 2011. "Combining equilibrium, resampling, and analysts' views in portfolio optimization," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Portfolio and risk management for central banks and sovereign wealth funds, volume 58, pages 75-84 Bank for International Settlements.
- Michaud, Richard O. & Michaud, Robert O., 2008. "Efficient Asset Management: A Practical Guide to Stock Portfolio Optimization and Asset Allocation," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, edition 2, number 9780195331912.
- Rosella Giacometti & Marida Bertocchi & Svetlozar T. Rachev & Frank J. Fabozzi, 2007. "Stable distributions in the Black-Litterman approach to asset allocation," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(4), pages 423-433.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:43654. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.