Modeling Voting Behavior in the Eurovision Song Contest
We examine the determinants of voting behavior of the Eurovision Song Contest (ESC) held every year in Europe since 1956. After the televoting system was first introduced in 1998, logrolling of cultural and geographic between countries has been increased. We modeled voting behavior taking into consideration the individual characteristic of performer and voter, as well as quality of song. Estimation result of the linear voting equation shows that not only quality of the song is an important part of voting but also affinity variables are very crucial determinants of voting equation. Estimation result also indicates that order of appearance in the contest, the language of the song and the gender of the performing artist turn out to be quite important parameters in explaining voting behavior.
|Date of creation:||13 Jun 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Haan, Marco & Dijkstra, Gerhard & Dijkstra, Peter, 2003.
"Expert judgment versus public opinion - evidence from the Eurovision Song Contest,"
03F12, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Marco Haan & S. Dijkstra & Peter Dijkstra, 2005. "Expert Judgment Versus Public Opinion – Evidence from the Eurovision Song Contest," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer;The Association for Cultural Economics International, vol. 29(1), pages 59-78, February.
- Haan, Marco & Dijkstra, Gerhard & Dijkstra, Peter, 2003. "Expert judgment versus public opinion : evidence from the Eurovision Song Contest," CCSO Working Papers 200305, University of Groningen, CCSO Centre for Economic Research.
- FLÔRES, R. G. & GINSBURGH, Jr. and V. A., .
"The Queen Elisabeth musical competition: how fair is the final ranking?,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1196, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Victor Ginsburgh & Renato Flores Galvao, 1996. "The Queen Elisabeth Musical Competition: how fair is the final ranking," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/1713, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- GINSBURGH, Victor, .
"Awards, success and aesthetic quality in the arts,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1616, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- GINSBURGH, Victor & NOURY, Abdul, 2005. "Cultural voting : The Eurovision Song Contest," CORE Discussion Papers 2005006, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:42801. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.