Factors affecting productivity of research-based pharmaceutical companies following mergers and acquisitions
This paper analyzes the impact of mergers and acquisitions (M&A) activities in research-based pharmaceutical companies, specifically the impact of R&D expenditure, profitability, and sales revenue on firms’ productivity, R&D intensity, in pharmaceutical industries following M&A activities. The model was estimated using annual data, gathered from seven large research-based pharmaceutical companies pre and post-M&A, during the period 2003 until 2010. The regression analysis method uses a fixed effect method with generalized least square (GLS) analysis. The result further shows that following M&A activities, firms’ one-year lagged R&D expenditure (t-1) and lagged profitability (t-1) to be positive in increasing significantly the firms’ amount of R&D intensity in research-based pharmaceutical industries, while, surprisingly firms’ one-year lagged sales revenue (t-1) have a negative impact in increasing significantly the firms’ amount of R&D intensity in research-based pharmaceutical industries.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zvi Griliches, 1979.
"Issues in Assessing the Contribution of Research and Development to Productivity Growth,"
Bell Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 92-116, Spring.
- Zvi Griliches, 1998. "Issues in Assessing the Contribution of Research and Development to Productivity Growth," NBER Chapters, in: R&D and Productivity: The Econometric Evidence, pages 17-45 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Patricia M. Danzon & Andrew Epstein & Sean Nicholson, 2004.
"Mergers and Acquisitions in the Pharmaceutical and Biotech Industries,"
NBER Working Papers
10536, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Patricia M. Danzon & Andrew Epstein & Sean Nicholson, 2007. "Mergers and acquisitions in the pharmaceutical and biotech industries," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(4-5), pages 307-328.
- Trina Larsen Andras & Srini S. Srinivasan, 2003. "Advertising Intensity and R&D Intensity: Differences across Industries and Their Impact on Firm's Performance," International Journal of Business and Economics, College of Business, and College of Finance, Feng Chia University, Taichung, Taiwan, vol. 2(2), pages 167-176, August.
- Mark Rogers, 2002. "The Influence of Diversification and Market Structure on the R&D Intensity of Large Australian Firms," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 35(2), pages 155-172.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:42514. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.