Japanese and Korean Automobile Exports and the Alchian-Allen Theorem
This paper compares data on Japanese and Korean automobile exports to the United States to examine consistency with the Alchian-Allen theorem. The theorem suggests that imposing a per unit charge such as transport cost will lower the relative price and increase the relative consumption of higher quality cars. Results show that the relative price of higher-quality cars is not necessarily lower with increased shipping costs, measured by CIF charges (cost, insurance, and freight). A possible explanation is that insurance and other shipping charges are imposed based on the car price, and these charges reduce or eliminate the Alchian-Allen effect of per-unit freight charge.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1991.
"A simple estimator of cointegrating vectors in higher order integrated systems,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues
91-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 1993. "A Simple Estimator of Cointegrating Vectors in Higher Order Integrated Systems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 783-820, July.
- David Hummels & Alexandre Skiba, 2004.
"Shipping the Good Apples Out? An Empirical Confirmation of the Alchian-Allen Conjecture,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 112(6), pages 1384-1402, December.
- David Hummels & Alexandre Skiba, 2002. "Shipping the Good Apples Out? An Empirical Confirmation of the Alchian-Allen Conjecture," NBER Working Papers 9023, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Borcherding, Thomas E & Silberberg, Eugene, 1978. "Shipping the Good Apples Out: The Alchian and Allen Theorem Reconsidered," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(1), pages 131-38, February.
- Banik, Nilanjan & Biswas, Basudeb, 2007. "Exchange rate pass-through in the U.S. automobile market: A cointegration approach," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 223-236.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:41928. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.