Short-term Dependence in Time Series as an Index of Complexity: Example from the S&P-500 Index
The capital market is a reflexive dynamical input/output construct whose output (time series) is usually assessed by an index of roughness known as Hurst’s exponent (H). Oddly enough, H has no theoretical foundation, but recently it has been found experimentally to vary from persistence (H > 1/2) or long-term dependence to anti-persistence (H
|Date of creation:||01 Mar 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in International Business Research No. 9.Volume(2012): pp. 38-48|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dominique, C-René & Rivera-Solis, Luis Eduardo, 2011. "Mixed fractional Brownian motion, short and long-term Dependence and economic conditions: the case of the S&P-500 Index," MPRA Paper 34860, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cornelis A. Los, 2000.
"Visualization of Chaos for Finance Majors,"
School of Economics Working Papers
2000-07, University of Adelaide, School of Economics.
- Invernizzi, Sergio & Medio, Alfredo, 1991. "On lags and chaos in economic dynamic models," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 521-550.
- Thomas Lux, 1996. "Long-term stochastic dependence in financial prices: evidence from the German stock market," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(11), pages 701-706.
- Lobato, Ignacio N & Savin, N E, 1998.
"Real and Spurious Long-Memory Properties of Stock-Market Data,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 16(3), pages 261-68, July.
- Lobato, I.N. & Savin, N.E., 1996. "Real and Spurious Long Memory Properties of Stock Market Data," Working Papers 96-07, University of Iowa, Department of Economics.
- I.N. Lobato & N.E. Savin, 1996. "Real and Spurious Long Memory Properties of Stock Market Data," Econometrics 9605004, EconWPA, revised 26 Sep 1996.
- Alvarez-Ramirez, Jose & Alvarez, Jesus & Rodriguez, Eduardo & Fernandez-Anaya, Guillermo, 2008. "Time-varying Hurst exponent for US stock markets," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 387(24), pages 6159-6169.
- Arneodo, A. & Bacry, E. & Muzy, J.F., 1995. "The thermodynamics of fractals revisited with wavelets," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 213(1), pages 232-275.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:41408. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.