Приватизация и рациональная структура собственности (Privatizatsiya i ratsional’naya struktura sobstvennosti)
[Privatization and the Rational Ownership Structure]
The costs and benefits of privatization are considered, focusing on the current Russian conditions. The experience of many countries, as well as econometric and theoretical studies, a review of which is given in the paper, show that relative efficiency of privatized enterprises in comparison with the state depends on the stage of economic development and quality of institutions. State-owned enterprises may have a number of special functions which are particularly important for developing or resource abundant economies. In particular, they can play the role of agents of modernization to initiate large-scale projects as public-private partnerships. It is shown that the decision on privatization should be considered in the context of a more general problem of finding a rational ownership structure in an economy. Factors affecting the comparative efficiency of public and private enterprises are analyzed. A number of hypotheses are proposed about the shape of dependence of the rational ownership structure on the level of development, the quality of government, and the quality of markets. Recommendations on improvement of the public sector management are formulated.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alberto Chong & Florencio de, 2003.
"The Truth about Privatization in Latin America,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm436, Yale School of Management.
- Alberto Chong & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes, 2003. "The Truth About Privatization in Latin America," Research Department Publications 3180, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Denisova, Irina & Eller, Markus & Frye, Timothy & Zhuravskaya, Ekaterina, 2012. "Everyone hates privatization, but why? Survey evidence from 28 post-communist countries," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 44-61.
- Irina Denisova & Markus Eller & Timothy Frye & Ekaterina Zhuravskaya, 2010. "Everyone Hates Privatization, but Why? Survey Evidence from 28 Post-Communist Countries," Working Papers w0143, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Irina Denisova & Markus Eller & Timothy Frye & Ekaterina Zhuravskaya, 2012. "Everyone Hates Privatization, but Why? Survey Evidence from 28 Post-Communist Countries," PSE - Labex "OSE-Ouvrir la Science Economique" halshs-00754602, HAL.
- David E. M. Sappington & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1987. "Privatization, information and incentives," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(4), pages 567-585.
- David E. M. Sappington & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1987. "Privatization, Information and Incentives," NBER Working Papers 2196, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kole, Stacey R & Mulherin, J Harold, 1997. "The Government as a Shareholder: A Case from the United States," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 40(1), pages 1-22, April.
- Alberto Cavaliere & Simona Scabrosetti, 2008. "Privatization And Efficiency: From Principals And Agents To Political Economy," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(4), pages 685-710, 09.
- Alberto Cavaliere, 2006. "Privatization and Efficiency: from Principals and Agents to Political Economy," Working Papers 2006.99, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Miroslava Straska, 2012. "Does investment improve when firms go private?," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 38(2), pages 124-142, January.
- Siegmund, Uwe, 1996. "Are there nationalization-privatization cycles? A theoretical survey and first empirical evidence," Kiel Working Papers 757, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Patrick Plane, 1997. "Privatization and economic growth: an empirical investigation from a sample of developing market economies," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(2), pages 161-178.
- Saul Estrin & Jan Hanousek & Evzen Kocenda & Jan Svejnar, 2009. "The Effects of Privatization and Ownership in Transition Economies," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 47(3), pages 699-728, September.
- Estrin, Saul & Hanousek, Jan & Kocenda, Evzen & Svejnar, Jan, 2009. "Effects of privatization and ownership in transition economies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4811, The World Bank.
- Polterovich, Victor, 1995. "Towards the Theory of Privatization," MPRA Paper 20151, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chang, Roberto & Hevia, Constantino & Loayza, Norman, 2009. "Privatization and nationalization cycles," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5029, The World Bank.
- Roberto Chang & Constantino Hevia & Norman Loayza, 2015. "Privatization and Nationalization Cycles," Working Papers 2015-47, Peruvian Economic Association.
- Roberto Chang & Constantino Hevia & Norman Loayza, 2010. "Privatization and Nationalization Cycles," NBER Working Papers 16126, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gasmi, Farid & Maingard, Alexis & Noumba Um, Paul & Recuero Virto, Laura, 2011. "Empirical evidence on the impact of privatization of fixed-line operators on telecommunications performance - Comparing OECD, Latin American, and African countries," TSE Working Papers 11-241, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Gasmi, Farid & Maingard, Alexis & Noumba Um, Paul & Recuero Virto, Laura, 2011. "Empirical evidence on the impact of privatization of fixed-line operators on telecommunications performance - Comparing OECD, Latin American, and African countries," IDEI Working Papers 660, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Paul Cook & Yuichiro Uchida, 2008. "The Performance of Privatised Enterprises in Developing Countries," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(9), pages 1342-1353.
- Bernardo Bortolotti & Valentina Milella, 2006. "Privatization in Western Europe Stylized Facts, Outcomes, and Open Issues," Working Papers 2006.124, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1994. "Politicians and Firms," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 109(4), pages 995-1025.
- Ha-Joon Chang, 2007. "State-Owned Enterprise Reform," Policy Notes 4, United Nations, Department of Economics and Social Affairs.
- Bernardo Bortolotti & Paolo Pinotti, 2003. "The Political Economy of Privatization," Working Papers 2003.45, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:41069. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.