Irreversibilidad e incertidumbre de las decisiones financieras en i&d
[Irreversibility and uncertainty of the financial investments on r&d]
The traditional methods for the valuation of investments are based on the possibility of calculating discount cash flows. The present paper analyses the problem associated to investments on innovative products, which require an important demand of R&D. The mentioned investments present irreversibility, flexibility and uncertainty characteristics. Therefore, it is proposed the Real Options methodology. To carry it out, investigations processes and their relationship with the financial market are described, with the aim of dealing with the irreversibility and the possibilities of making flexible a project. Finally, the different valuation methods are reviewed, focusing on the Black & Scholes formula to consider the options to wait, abandon, expand and suspend. It is necessary to take into account that the mentioned criteria does not replace the traditional valuation methods (especially NPV), but it should be incorporated to them, to appropriately treat the current context.
|Date of creation:||30 Jun 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carriere, Jacques F., 1996. "Valuation of the early-exercise price for options using simulations and nonparametric regression," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 19-30, December.
- Saman Majd & Robert S. Pindyck, 1985.
"Time to Build, Option Value, and Investment Decisions,"
NBER Working Papers
1654, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Majd, Saman & Pindyck, Robert S., 1987. "Time to build, option value, and investment decisions," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 7-27, March.
- M. L. Weitzman & K. Roberts, 1979.
"Funding Criteria for Research, Development and Exploration Projects,"
234, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Roberts, Kevin & Weitzman, Martin L, 1981. "Funding Criteria for Research, Development, and Exploration Projects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(5), pages 1261-88, September.
- Dixit, A., 1988.
"Entry And Exit Decisions Under Uncertainty,"
91, Princeton, Department of Economics - Financial Research Center.
- Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1992. "Waiting to Invest: Investment and Uncertainty," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 65(1), pages 1-29, January.
- Timothy Sturgeon & Johannes Van Biesebroeck & Gary Gereffi, 2008. "Value chains, networks and clusters: reframing the global automotive industry," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(3), pages 297-321, May.
- Longstaff, Francis A & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 2001. "Valuing American Options by Simulation: A Simple Least-Squares Approach," University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management qt43n1k4jb, Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:40970. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.