Die Transformation des Verarbeitenden Gewerbes in Berlin/Brandenburg unter Berücksichtigung der Exporte : eine empirische Analyse mit amtlichen Mikrodaten
[The transition of the manufacturing industry in Berlin/Brandenburg paying particular consideration to exports : an empirical analyze with official micro data]
20 years have elapsed since the peaceful protest movement led to the resignation of the old regime in the German Democratic Republic. In the following year both German states reunited. Due to the special situation in Germany the subsequent transformation process is unique within the former socialistic countries of Central and Eastern Europe. The special focus of this thesis is the transition of the manufacturing industry in the federal states of Berlin and Brandenburg. After reunification of the two German states the situation of plants in the former socialistic part changed dramatically. The results are analyzed using, both, macro and micro data. The evolution of some economic indicators, like number of plants and jobs, structure (size and sector), sales (domestic and foreign), and investments, is analyzed. The comparison of Brandenburg and East Berlin with West Berlin provides information about the current state in the transition process. The data used in this study is drawn from two sources: firstly, aggregated data from the national accounts of the federal states, and secondly, micro data from plant based surveys conducted by the official statistics. The observation period covers the years between 1991 and 2005. For the analysis of the number of plants and jobs, and the dynamic in their evolution there could be used a full survey for the years from 1991 to 2000. The thesis pays special attention to the role of exports for the development of plants. German economic policy promotes firms in their step on foreign markets, because exports are expected to stimulate the economic growth. In order that such a promotion has a positive effect in the long run, exports have to have a positive effect on productivity growth, and additionally export behavior has to be persistent over time. Both conditions are empirically examined within this thesis.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blanchard, Olivier, 1996. "Theoretical Aspects of Transition," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(2), pages 117-122, May.
- Manuel Arellano & Stephen Bond, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 277-297.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Ulrich Kaiser & Hans Christian Kongsted, 2004.
"True versus spurious state dependence in firm performance: the case of West German exports,"
CAM Working Papers
2004-04, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Applied Microeconometrics.
- Kaiser, Ulrich & Kongsted, Hans Christian, 2004. "True Versus Spurious State Dependence in Firm Performance: The Case of West German Exports," ZEW Discussion Papers 04-81, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Jan De Loecker, 2004.
"Do Exports Generate Higher Productivity? Evidence from Slovenia,"
LICOS Discussion Papers
15104, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- De Loecker, Jan, 2007. "Do exports generate higher productivity? Evidence from Slovenia," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 69-98, September.
- Aitken, Brian & Hanson, Gordon H. & Harrison, Ann E., 1997.
"Spillovers, foreign investment, and export behavior,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 43(1-2), pages 103-132, August.
- Brian Aitken & Gordon H. Hanson & Ann E. Harrison, 1994. "Spillovers, Foreign Investment, and Export Behavior," NBER Working Papers 4967, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aitken, B. & Hanson, G.H. & Harrison, A.E., 1994. "Spillovers, Foreign Investment and Export Behavior," Papers 95-06, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- McCloskey, Donald N, 1985. "The Loss Function Has Been Mislaid: The Rhetoric of Significance Tests," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(2), pages 201-205, May.
- Reiner Stäglin & Ingo Pfeiffer & Andreas Stephan unter Mitarb. von Björn Frank & Tim Pohlmann & Joachim Schintke & Manfred Schmidt & Hella Steinke & Jörg-Peter Weiß, 2006. "Die Bedeutung der Belastung der Wirtschaft durch amtliche Statistiken: Dienstleistungsvorhaben des Bundesministeriums für Wirtschaft und Technologie, Projekt Nr. 29/03; Schlussbericht," DIW Berlin: Politikberatung kompakt, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, volume 19, number pbk19.
- Bernard, Andrew B. & Bradford Jensen, J., 1999.
"Exceptional exporter performance: cause, effect, or both?,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 1-25, February.
- Bernard, A., 1997. "Exceptional Exporter Performance: Cause, Effect, or Both?," Working papers 97-21, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Andrew B. Bernard & J. Bradford Jensen, 1997. "Exceptional Exporter Performance: Cause, Effect, or Both?," NBER Working Papers 6272, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jens Matthias Arnold & Katrin Hussinger, 2005. "Export Behavior and Firm Productivity in German Manufacturing: A Firm-Level Analysis," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 141(2), pages 219-243, July.
- Roberts, Mark J & Tybout, James R, 1997. "The Decision to Export in Colombia: An Empirical Model of Entry with Sunk Costs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(4), pages 545-564, September.
- Olivier Blanchard & Michael Kremer, 1997.
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 112(4), pages 1091-1126.
- Olivier Blanchard & Michael Kremer, 1997. "Disorganization," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 38, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Blanchard, O & Kremer, M, 1996. "Disorganization," Working papers 96-30, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Blanchard, Olivier & Kremer, Michael R., 1997. "Disorganization," Scholarly Articles 3659691, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Anderson, T. W. & Hsiao, Cheng, 1982. "Formulation and estimation of dynamic models using panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 47-82, January.
- Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2005.
"Simple solutions to the initial conditions problem in dynamic, nonlinear panel data models with unobserved heterogeneity,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(1), pages 39-54.
- Jeffrey M Wooldridge, 2002. "Simple solutions to the initial conditions problem in dynamic, nonlinear panel data models with unobserved heterogeneity," CeMMAP working papers CWP18/02, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Wagner, Joachim, 2001.
"The causal effects of exports on firm size and labor productivity: First evidence from a matching approach,"
HWWA Discussion Papers
155, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Wagner, Joachim, 2002. "The causal effects of exports on firm size and labor productivity: first evidence from a matching approach," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 287-292, October.
- Ulrich Kaiser & Joachim Wagner, 2008.
"Neue Möglichkeiten zur Nutzung vertraulicher amtlicher Personen- und Firmendaten,"
Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik,
Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 9(3), pages 329-349, 08.
- Ulrich Kaiser & Joachim Wagner, 2007. "Neue Möglichkeiten zur Nutzung vertraulicher amtlicher Personen- und Firmendaten," Working Paper Series in Economics 48, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Annette Kohlmann, 2005. "European Data Watch: The Research Data Centre of the Federal Employment Service in the Institute for Employment Research," Schmollers Jahrbuch : Journal of Applied Social Science Studies / Zeitschrift für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 125(3), pages 437-447.
- Frank Windmeijer, 2000. "A finite sample correction for the variance of linear two-step GMM estimators," IFS Working Papers W00/19, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Johannes Van Biesebroeck, 2003.
"Exporting Raises Productivity in Sub-Saharan African Manufacturing Plants,"
NBER Working Papers
10020, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Van Biesebroeck, Johannes, 2005. "Exporting raises productivity in sub-Saharan African manufacturing firms," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 373-391, December.
- Mundlak, Yair, 1978. "On the Pooling of Time Series and Cross Section Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 69-85, January.
- Sinn, Gerlinde & Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1992. "Kaltstart. Volkswirtschaftliche Aspekte der Deutschen Vereinigung," Monograph, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, edition 2, number urn:isbn:9783161459429.
- Gary Chamberlain, 1980. "Analysis of Covariance with Qualitative Data," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(1), pages 225-238.
- Richard Baldwin & Paul R. Krugman, 1986.
"Persistent Trade Effects of Large Exchage Rate Shocks,"
NBER Working Papers
2017, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard Baldwin & Paul Krugman, 1989. "Persistent Trade Effects of Large Exchange Rate Shocks," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 104(4), pages 635-654.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:39304. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.