Determining marginal contributions of the economic capital of credit risk portfolio: an analytical approach
We address the problem of decomposing the risk of a multi-factor credit portfolio into marginal contributions through a fast analytical approach: it is based on Taylor polynomial expansion of the overall risk and on the subsequent partial derivatives with respect to the single exposures, exploiting the Euler principle. The proposed approximation, which also accommodates for an efficient treatment of obligors with similar risk profile, is suitable for large and complex bank portfolios; furthermore, it proves to perform quite well if tested against numerical techniques, among which we chose the Harrel-Davis estimator. The latter, aside from representing a benchmark measure, should however be applied in the case of very small and concentrated portfolios. In addition, a comparison with the most usual variance-covariance approach is drawn, emphasising its drawbacks in the correct representation of risk allocation.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Puzanova, Natalia & Düllmann, Klaus, 2013.
"Systemic risk contributions: A credit portfolio approach,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 1243-1257.
- Düllmann, Klaus & Puzanova, Natalia, 2011. "Systemic risk contributions: a credit portfolio approach," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2011,08, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Christian Gourieroux & J. P. Laurent & Olivier Scaillet, 2000.
"Sensitivity Analysis of Values at Risk,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0162, Econometric Society.
- C. Gourieroux & J.P. Laurent & O. Scaillet, 2000. "Sensitivity analysis of values at risk," THEMA Working Papers 2000-04, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Christian Gourieroux & Jean-Paul Laurent & Olivier Scaillet, 2000. "Sensitivity Analysis of Values at Risk," Working Papers 2000-05, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Gouriéroux, Christian & Laurent, J.P. & Scaillet, Olivier, 1999. "Sensitivity Analysis of Values at Risk," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2000002, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES), revised 00 Jan 2000.
- Gordy, Michael B., 2003.
"A risk-factor model foundation for ratings-based bank capital rules,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 199-232, July.
- Michael B. Gordy, 2002. "A risk-factor model foundation for ratings-based bank capital rules," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2002-55, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Susanne Emmer & Dirk Tasche, 2003. "Calculating credit risk capital charges with the one-factor model," Papers cond-mat/0302402, arXiv.org, revised Jan 2005.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:39119. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.