The distribution of wages and employee incomes in Slovenia, 1991–2009
This paper analyses the distribution of employee income in Slovenia in the period 1991–2009. The analysis is based on two different datasets, both derived from the personal income tax files. It was shown that income inequality of employees income has somewhat increased in this period, using the Gini coefficient as the indicator of income inequality. Though increases in income inequality were moderate according to this summary measure, rather largest changes did occur at the very top of the income distribution, i.e. top 5 per cent and top one per cent of employees. Income inequality of employees’ net income (i.e. net of employee social contributions and personal income tax) remained fairly stable in this time period. In other words, the changes in personal income tax dampened to a large degree the effects of increasing inequality in the distribution of employee gross income. This was also established using the Kakwani index of progressivity. Increases in progressivity of the personal income tax came in leaps, mostly following the introduction of new income tax legislation.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kakwani, Nanok C, 1977. "Measurement of Tax Progressivity: An International Comparison," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 87(345), pages 71-80, March.
- Anthony B. Atkinson & Thomas Piketty & Emmanuel Saez, 2009.
"Top Incomes in the Long Run of History,"
NBER Working Papers
15408, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Majcen, Boris & Verbic, Miroslav & Cok, Mitja, 2007. "The Income Tax Reform in Slovenia: Should the Flat Tax Have Prevailed?," MPRA Paper 10348, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Atkinson, A B, 2008. "The Changing Distribution of Earnings in OECD Countries," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199532438, March.
- John Creedy, 1999. "Taxation, Redistribution and Progressivity: An Introduction," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 32(4), pages 410-422.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:38917. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.