Stock market and economic growth in selected Asian countries
This study investigates the relationship between stock markets and economic growth in twelve Asian countries from 1980 to 2004. In this study, we utilize the Johansen cointegration and Granger causality tests using quarterly data. Results from cointegration test suggest that there is long run relationship between stock markets and economic growth in four countries namely, China, the Philippines, Singapore and Taiwan. The results of Granger causality test indicate that there is a bi-directional feedback relationship between stock markets and economic growth in China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand. Whereas in Japan and Korea, we found that there exists a unidirectional short run causal effect running from stock markets to economic growth. On the contrary, we found short run causal effect running from economic growth to stock markets in the case of India and Singapore. In addition, there is no evidence of causality among the variables under study in Sri Lanka.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Economics, Finance and Administrative Sciences 7 (2007): pp. 43-52|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Levine, Ross, 1991. " Stock Markets, Growth, and Tax Policy," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(4), pages 1445-1465, September.
- Singh, Ajit, 1996.
"Financial liberalisation,stockmarkets and economic development,"
53897, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ajit Singh, 1998. "Financial liberalisation, stockmarkets and economic development," Nova Economia, Economics Department, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais (Brazil), vol. 8(1), pages 165-182.
- Singh, Ajit, 1997. "Financial Liberalisation, Stockmarkets and Economic Development," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(442), pages 771-82, May.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Peter Howells & Alaa M. Soliman, 2005. "Endogenous Growth Models and Stock Market Development: Evidence from Four Countries," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(2), pages 166-176, 05.
- Mayer, Colin, 1988.
"New issues in corporate finance,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 1167-1183, June.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Levine, Ross & Zervos, Sara, 1998.
"Stock Markets, Banks, and Economic Growth,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 88(3), pages 537-58, June.
- Ross Levine & Sara Zervos, . "Stock markets, banks and economic growth ," CERF Discussion Paper Series 95-11, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Levine, Ross & Zervos, Sara, 1996. "Stock markets, banks, and economic growth," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1690, The World Bank.
- Singh, Ajit & Weisse, Bruce A., 1998.
"Emerging stock markets, portfolio capital flows and long-term economie growth: Micro and macroeconomic perspectives,"
Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 607-622, April.
- Singh, A. & Weisse, B. A., 1998. "Emerging Stock Markets, Portfolio Capital Flows and Long-term Economic Growth: Micro and Macroeconomic Perspectives," Accounting and Finance Discussion Papers 98-af40, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Chee Keong Choong & Zulkornain Yusop & Siong Hook Law & Venus Liew Khim Sen, 2003. "Financial Development and Economic Growth in Malaysia: The Stock Market Perspective," Macroeconomics 0307010, EconWPA.
- Bencivenga, Valerie R & Smith, Bruce D & Starr, Ross M, 1996. "Equity Markets, Transactions Costs, and Capital Accumulation: An Illustration," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 10(2), pages 241-65, May.
- Atje, Raymond & Jovanovic, Boyan, 1993. "Stock markets and development," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(2-3), pages 632-640, April.
- Toda, Hiro Y. & Yamamoto, Taku, 1995. "Statistical inference in vector autoregressions with possibly integrated processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1-2), pages 225-250.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:37649. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.