Can issue linkage help mitigate externalities and enhance cooperation
Managing transboundary river basins is never easy and usually involves conflicts. This paper introduces a special class of games with externalities and issue linkage to promote cooperation on transboundary water resources. The paper analyzes whether issue linkages can be used as a form of negotiations on sharing benefits and mitigating conflicts. It is shown that whenever opportunities for linkages exist, countries may indeed contribute towards cooperation. In particular, if the linked games are convex, the grand coalition is the only optimal level of social welfare
|Date of creation:||Jun 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kemfert, Claudia, 2004. "Climate coalitions and international trade: assessment of cooperation incentives by issue linkage," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 455-465, March.
- Ambec, Stefan & Dinar, Ariel, 2010.
"Hot Stuff: Would Climate Change Alter Transboundary Water Sharing Treaties?,"
TSE Working Papers
10-216, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Ambec, Stefan & Dinar, Ariel, 2010. "Hot Stuff: Would Climate Change Alter Transboundary Water Sharing Treaties?," IDEI Working Papers 656, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Ambec, Stefan & Dinar, Ariel, 2010. "Hot Stuff: Would Climate Change Alter Transboundary Water Sharing Treaties?," LERNA Working Papers 10.15.321, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
- Just, Richard E. & Netanyahu, Sinaia, 2000.
"The importance of structure in linking games,"
Blackwell, vol. 24(1), pages 87-100, December.
- Dinar, Ariel & Wolf, Aaron, 1994. "International Markets for Water and the Potential for Regional Cooperation: Economic and Political Perspectives in the Western Middle East," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 43(1), pages 43-66, October.
- CHANDER, Parkash, 2010. "Cores of games with positive externalities," CORE Discussion Papers 2010004, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Hafalir, Isa E., 2007. "Efficiency in coalition games with externalities," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 242-258, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:37408. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.