Bernanke Was Right: Currency Manipulation Policy in Emerging Foreign Exchange Markets
This paper examines the currency manipulation policy in the foreign exchange markets of thirteen emerging countries using a structural vector autoregressive (SVAR) framework to link the dynamics of real exchange rates and foreign reserves. It is found that for Korea, Singapore, and Taiwan, exchange rate shocks are the main source of fluctuations in foreign reserves over all time horizons. Empirical evidence suggests that these countries intervene substantially in the foreign exchange markets in order to promote export competitiveness.
|Date of creation:||25 Jan 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Carmen M. Reinhart, 2002.
"Fear of Floating,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 117(2), pages 379-408.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Carmen M. Reinhart, 2000. "Fear of Floating," NBER Working Papers 7993, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo, 2002. "Fear of floating," MPRA Paper 14000, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Reinhart, Carmen, 2001. "Fear of Floating: Exchange Rate Flexibility Indices," MPRA Paper 13196, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Christopher J. Neely, 2011. "The difference between currency manipulation and monetary policy," Economic Synopses, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Weymark, Diana N., 1995. "Estimating exchange market pressure and the degree of exchange market intervention for Canada," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3-4), pages 273-295, November.
- Shiu-Sheng Chen & Kenshi Taketa, 2007. "Assessment Of Weymark'S Measures Of Exchange Market Intervention: The Case Of Japan," Pacific Economic Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(5), pages 545-558, December.
- Kim, Soyoung, 2003. "Monetary policy, foreign exchange intervention, and the exchange rate in a unifying framework," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 355-386, August.
- Weymark, Diana N, 1997. "Measuring the degree of exchange market intervention in a small open economy," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 55-79, February. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:36184. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.