Do financial systems converge? A Comprehensive panel data approach and new evidence from a dataset for 102 countries
This paper is to investigate the existence of β- convergence and σ- convergence for financial institutional characteristics for the dataset of 102 countries from 1980 to 2009. The research is based on panel data econometric models and 10 financial depth indicators. The partial effects of corruption and financial openness are also to be estimated. The main conclusion is that the world exhibits steady financial development as well as β-convergence of financial depth indicators, the middle income countries converging relatively faster. Nevertheless the speed of convergence is not sufficient for the developing world to catch up quickly.
|Date of creation:||15 Jan 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schmidt, Reinhard H. & Hackethal, Andreas & Tyrell, Marcel, 1999. "Disintermediation and the Role of Banks in Europe: An International Comparison," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 8(1-2), pages 36-67, January.
- Philipp Hartmann & Angela Maddaloni & Simone Manganelli, 2003.
"The Euro-area Financial System: Structure, Integration, and Policy Initiatives,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 19(1), pages 180-213.
- Hartmann, Philipp & Maddaloni, Angela & Manganelli, Simone, 2003. "The euro area financial system: structure, integration and policy initiatives," Working Paper Series 230, European Central Bank.
- Baumol, William J, 1986. "Productivity Growth, Convergence, and Welfare: What the Long-run Data Show," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(5), pages 1072-1085, December.
- Baumol, William J., 1985. "Productivity Growth, Convergence and Welfare: What the Long Run Data Show," Working Papers 85-27, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- A. Antzoulatos, Angelos & Thanopoulos, John, 2008. "Financial System Structure and Change - 1986-2005 Evidence from the OECD Countries," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 23, pages 977-1001. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:36103. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.