The measurement of financial intermediation in Japan
In this paper, we compute financial intermediation ratios for Japan (1970-2003) on a book value basis. According to our results, the intermediation ratio has remained quite stable, at around 85%. However, this stability is the result of two opposing trends : a decrease in credits and an increase in financial securities owned by financial (mostly, non banking) institutions. These two opposing trends would not have appeared if we had used traditional indicators computed as a fraction on GDP, or that build on a narrow definition of intermediation or use market value data. Fundamentally, our results provide evidence for a very close relation between intermediate financings and market financings and tend to reject the hypothesis of the Japanese financial system's convergence toward a capital market-based system.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques 2005.80 - ISSN : 1624-0340. 2005|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00197104|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rajan, Raghuram G & Zingales, Luigi, 2003.
"Banks and Markets: the Changing Character of European Finance,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3865, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Luigi Zingales & Raghuram G. Rajan, 2003. "Banks and Markets: The Changing Character of European Finance," NBER Working Papers 9595, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nobuyoshi Yamori & Narunto Nishigaki, 2005.
"The Public Financial System in Japan - Re-verification of the ballooning theory and the privileged government enterprise theory -,"
Public Policy Review,
Policy Research Institute, Ministry of Finance Japan, vol. 1(1), pages 33-48, March.
- Nobuyoshi Yamori & Nobuyoshi Yamori, 2005. "The Public Financial System in Japan - Re-verification of the ballooning theory and the privileged government enterprise theory," Finance Working Papers 22319, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Rousseau, P. L. & Wachtel, P., 2000.
"Equity markets and growth: Cross-country evidence on timing and outcomes, 1980-1995,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 24(12), pages 1933-1957, December.
- Peter L. Rousseau & Paul Wachtel, 1998. "Equity Markets and Growth: Cross-Country Evidence on Timing and Outcomes, 1980-1995," Working Papers 98-09, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Gunther Capelle-Blancard & Jézabel Couppey-Soubeyran, 2003.
"Le financement des agents non financiers en Europe : le rôle des intermédiaires financiers demeure prépondérant,"
Économie et Statistique,
Programme National Persée, vol. 366(1), pages 63-95.
- Gunther Capelle-Blancard & Jézabel Couppey-Soubeyran, 2003. "Le financement des agents non financiers en Europe : le rôle des intermédiaires financiers demeure prépondérant," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00265673, HAL.
- Ross Levine, 2002.
"Bank-Based or Market-Based Financial Systems: Which is Better?,"
NBER Working Papers
9138, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Levine, Ross, 2002. "Bank-Based or Market-Based Financial Systems: Which Is Better?," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 398-428, October.
- Ross Levine, 2002. "Bank-Based or Market-Based Financial Systems: Which is Better?," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 442, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Sekine, Toshitaka & Kobayashi, Keiichiro & Saita, Yumi, 2003. "Forbearance Lending: The Case of Japanese Firms," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 21(2), pages 69-92, August.
- Franklin Allen & Anthony M. Santomero, 1999.
"What Do Financial Intermediaries Do?,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
99-30, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- John H. Boyd & Bruce D. Smith, 1995.
"The evolution of debt and equity markets in economic development,"
542, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Bruce D. Smith & John H. Boyd, 1998. "The evolution of debt and equity markets in economic development," Economic Theory, Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 12(3), pages 519-560.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil Kashyap, 2000.
"The Japanese Banking Crisis: Where Did It Come From and How Will It End?,"
in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1999, Volume 14, pages 129-212
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil Kashyap, 1999. "The Japanese Banking Crisis: Where Did It Come From and How Will It End?," NBER Working Papers 7250, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anderson, Christopher W. & K. Makhija, Anil, 1999. "Deregulation, disintermediation, and agency costs of debt: evidence from Japan," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 309-339, February.
- Arnoud W. A. Boot & Anjan V. Thakor, 2000.
"Can Relationship Banking Survive Competition?,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 55(2), pages 679-713, 04.
- Malcolm Edey & Ketil Hviding, 1995. "An Assessment of Financial Reform in OECD Countries," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 154, OECD Publishing.
- Thakor, Anjan V., 2000. "Relationship Banking," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 3-5, January.
- Robert C. Merton & Zvi Bodie, 2004. "The Design of Financial Systems: Towards a Synthesis of Function and Structure," NBER Working Papers 10620, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Schmidt, Reinhard H. & Hackethal, Andreas & Tyrell, Marcel, 1999. "Disintermediation and the Role of Banks in Europe: An International Comparison," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 8(1-2), pages 36-67, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:cesptp:halshs-00197104. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.