Monetary Shocks or Real Shocks, Which matters the most for Share Prices
This study examines that out of monetary shocks (ΔM2) and real shocks in share prices (ΔYt-k), which one or both really explain share prices of Karachi stock exchange 100 index. The time series econometrics is used to investigate the data for the monthly period of January 1991 to January 2011 for money supply (M2) and share prices of KSE 100 index. The results of unit root test reveal that there is a real shock in share prices and it explains the share price of KSE 100 index temporarily, while Vector auto regression revealed that Share prices of KSE 100 index is meagerly explained by the monetary shocks.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:||2011|
|Publication status:||Published in Information Management and Business Review 6.2(2011): pp. 246-251|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sara Alatiqi & Shokoofeh Fazel, . "Can Money Supply Predict Stock Prices?," Journal for Economic Educators, Middle Tennessee State University, Business and Economic Research Center.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1981. "Stock Returns, Real Activity, Inflation, and Money," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(4), pages 545-65, September.
- Douglas K. Pearce & V. Vance Roley, 1985.
"Stock Prices and Economic News,"
NBER Working Papers
1296, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1970. "Efficient Capital Markets: A Review of Theory and Empirical Work," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(2), pages 383-417, May.
- Kraft, John & Kraft, Arthur, 1977. "Determinants of Common Stock Prices: A Time Series Analysis," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(2), pages 417-25, May.
- Subhani, Muhammad Imtiaz & Osman, Ms. Amber, 2011. "Stock Market Reactions due to Announcements of Consumer Price Index and the Investigation of Endogeneity," MPRA Paper 34725, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:34730. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.