Estimation of multiple-regime regressions with least absolutes deviation
This paper considers least absolute deviations estimation of a regression model with multiple change points occurring at unknown times. Some asymptotic results, including rates of convergence and asymptotic distributions, for the estimated change points and the estimated regression coefficient are derived. Results are obtained without assuming that each regime spans a positive fraction of the sample size. In addition, the number of change points is allowed to grow as the sample size increases. Estimation of the number of change points is also considered. A feasible computational algorithm is developed. An application is also given, along with some monte carlo simulations.
|Date of creation:||Feb 1995|
|Date of revision:||Feb 1998|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference 1.74(1998): pp. 103-134|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bai, Jushan, 1995. "Least Absolute Deviation Estimation of a Shift," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(03), pages 403-436, June.
- Gombay, Edit & Horváth, Lajos, 1994. "Limit theorems for change in linear regression," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 43-69, January.
- Pollard, David, 1991. "Asymptotics for Least Absolute Deviation Regression Estimators," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(02), pages 186-199, June.
- Michael J. Dueker, 1992. "The response of market interest rates to discount rate changes," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jul, pages 78-91.
- Bhattacharya, P.K., 1987. "Maximum likelihood estimation of a change-point in the distribution of independent random variables: General multiparameter case," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 183-208, December.
- V. Vance Roley & Simon M. Wheatley, 1990. "Temporal Variation in the Interest-Rate Response to Money Announcements," NBER Working Papers 3471, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:32916. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.