Régimes de change intermédiaires dans les économies émergentes: le cas du Maroc
[Intermediate Exchange Rate Regimes in Emerging Economies: The Case of Morocco]
In this paper, we estimate the relative weights of each foreign currency in the basket of currencies comprising the dirham for the period 1973-2003 on monthly data. We show that before the advent of the euro, the exchange rate regime in Morocco was a "Crawling Basket (basket slippery). This basket reflects quite well the geographical distribution of foreign trade of the country, but also takes into account denominated debt. The birth of the euro has led, after 1999, a profound change in the exchange rate policy in Morocco. On the one hand, the automatic component of the adjustment of the exchange rate of dirham: slipping according to the inflation differential between Morocco and its partners has been abandoned; domestic inflation has been stabilized at a level comparable to that of developed economies. On the other hand, the substitution of European national currencies by the euro, synonymous with a decrease in the variety of currencies used in the composition of the basket, the tradeoff between stabilizing the debt burden and maintaining external competitiveness vis-à-vis European trade partners, have led the monetary Moroccan authorities to diversify the composition of the basket by introducing new currencies outside the European area, it is the British Pound and perhaps Franc Switzerland.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2002.
"The Modern History of Exchange Rate Arrangements: A Reinterpretation,"
NBER Working Papers
8963, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2004. "The Modern History of Exchange Rate Arrangements: A Reinterpretation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 119(1), pages 1-48.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2004. "The modern history of exchange rate arrangements: A reinterpretation," MPRA Paper 14070, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Carmen M. Reinhart, 2000.
"Fear of Floating,"
NBER Working Papers
7993, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barry Eichengreen & Ricardo Hausmann, 1999.
"Exchange rates and financial fragility,"
Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole,
Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 329-368.
- Ramikishen Rajan, 2002. "Exchange Rate Policy Options for Post-crisis Southeast Asia: Is There a Case for Currency Baskets?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(1), pages 137-163, 01.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth Rogoff, 1995.
"The mirage of fixed exchange rates,"
Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory
95-08, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Henrik Hansen & Søren Johansen, 1992. "Recursive Estimation in Cointegrated VAR-Models," Discussion Papers 92-13, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Michael D. Bordo, 2003.
"Exchange Rate Regime Choice in Historical Perspective,"
NBER Working Papers
9654, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael D. Bordo, 2003. "Exchange Rate Regime Choice in Historical Perspective," IMF Working Papers 03/160, International Monetary Fund.
- Bouoiyour, jamal, 2003.
"Système National d’Innovation au Maroc
[National Innovation System In Morocco]," MPRA Paper 29303, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Stanley Fischer, 2001. "Exchange Rate Regimes: Is the Bipolar View Correct?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(2), pages 3-24, Spring.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A. & Fajnzylber, Eduardo & Schmukler, Sergio L. & Serven, Luis, 2001.
"Verifying exchange rate regimes,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 351-386, December.
- Jeffrey Frankel & Sergio Schmukler & Luis Serven, 2000. "Verifiability and the Vanishing Intermediate Exchange Rate Regime," NBER Working Papers 7901, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Williamson, 2001. "The Case for a Basket, Band and Crawl (BBC) Regime for East Asia," RBA Annual Conference Volume, in: David Gruen & John Simon (ed.), Future Directions for Monetary Policies in East Asia Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Eduardo Levy-Yeyati & Federico Sturzenegger, 2003. "To Float or to Fix: Evidence on the Impact of Exchange Rate Regimes on Growth," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(4), pages 1173-1193, September.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo, 2001.
"Fixing for your life,"
13873, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Levy-Yeyati, Eduardo & Sturzenegger, Federico, 2005. "Classifying exchange rate regimes: Deeds vs. words," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 49(6), pages 1603-1635, August.
- Michel Aglietta & Camille Baulant & Sandra Moatti, 2003. "Exchange Rate Management in Central Europe and the Debate on Exchange Rate Regimes," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 54(5), pages 961-982.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:30215. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.