Vorausschätzungen für die Entwicklung der Gesamtbevölkerung und der Beschäftigung in Österreich bis 2035
[Projections of the Development of Population and Employment in Austria until 2035]
This paper investigates the future development of the Austrian population for the period from 2005 to 2035. The main focus of our investigation lies on the working age population and its age structure. Our calculations are based on the population projection released by Statistik Austria in 2005. We present three different scenarios with respect to age specific labour force participation rates and discuss their impact on the Austrian labour force. We show that both the main variant and the low migration variant of the population projection allow for an annual increase in the total size of labour force of 0.3% until the end of our observation period by applying labour force participation rates which are already put into practice in the Nordic countries. An increase in labour force participation rates does not only help to maintain an increase in the labour force but also leads to a more homogenous age distribution of the labour force.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ray C. Fair & Kathryn M. Dominguez, 1987.
"Effects of the Changing U.S. Age Distribution on Macroeconomic Equations,"
NBER Working Papers
2280, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fair, Ray C & Dominguez, Kathryn M, 1991. "Effects of the Changing U.S. Age Distribution on Macroeconomic Equations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(5), pages 1276-94, December.
- Ray C. Fair & Kathryn M. Dominguez, 1987. "Effects of the Changing U.S. Age Distribution on Macroeconomic Equations," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 839, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Alexia Prskawetz & Thomas Fent, 2007. "Workforce Ageing And The Substitution Of Labour: The Role Of Supply And Demand Of Labour In Austria," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(1), pages 95-126, 02.
- Paul Beaudry & Fabrice Collard, 2003.
"Recent Technological and Economic Change among Industrialized Countries: Insights from Population Growth,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 105(3), pages 441-464, 09.
- Beaudry, Paul & Collard, Fabrice, 2001. "Recent Technological and Economic Change among Industrialized Countries : Insights from Population Growth," IDEI Working Papers 135, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse, revised 2003.
- Oded Galor & Omer Moav, 2004.
"From Physical to Human Capital Accumulation: Inequality and the Process of Development,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 71(4), pages 1001-1026.
- Oded Galor & Omer Moav, 1999. "From Physical to Human Capital Accumulation: Inequality in the Process of Development," Working Papers 99-27, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Oded Galor & Omer Moav, 2004. "From Physical to Human Capital Accumulation: Inequality and the Process of Development," GE, Growth, Math methods 0410005, EconWPA.
- Galor, Oded & Moav, Omer, 1999. "From Physical to Human Capital Accumulation: Inequality in the Process of Development," CEPR Discussion Papers 2307, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Shane M. Greenstein (ed.), 2006. "Computing," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 3171.
- Lutz Schneider, 2006. "Sind ältere Beschäftigte weniger produktiv? Eine empirische Analyse anhand des LIAB," IWH Discussion Papers 13, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:2877. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.