Internationalization Strategies and Productivity: Evidence from Foreign Owned Companies Operating in the Greek Manufacturing Sector
This paper using Malmquist productivity indexes analyzes the impact of internalization on productivity efficiency and competitive advantage for a sample of 395 firms with foreign ownership operating in the Greek manufacturing sector. A number of different factors in respect to firms’ productivity performance and creation of competitive advantage are been explored. The productive and most competitive firms with foreign ownership seem to have definite and strong characteristics relative to their size. Our empirical results imply that the resources (tangible and intangible) which are utilized and obtained through the firms internationalization strategies have a direct impact on the firms’ productivity and hence to their competitive advantage.
|Date of creation:||04 Oct 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dunning, John H, 1979. "Explaining Changing Patterns of International Production: In Defence of the Eclectic Theory," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 41(4), pages 269-95, November.
- Peter J Buckley, 1988. "The Limits of Explanation: Testing the Internalization Theory of the Multinational Enterprise," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(2), pages 181-193, June.
- Andrew B. Bernard & Jonathan Eaton & J. Bradford Jensen & Samuel Kortum, 2000.
"Plants and Productivity in International Trade,"
Boston University - Institute for Economic Development
105, Boston University, Institute for Economic Development.
- Andrew B Bernard & Jonathan Eaton & J. Bradford Jensen & Samuel Kortum, 2000. "Plants and productivity in international trade," Working Papers 00-08, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Andrew B. Bernard & Jonathan Eaton & J. Bradford Jenson & Samuel Kortum, 2000. "Plants and Productivity in International Trade," NBER Working Papers 7688, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Erin Anderson & Hubert Gatignon, 1986. "Modes of Foreign Entry: A Transaction Cost Analysis and Propositions," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 17(3), pages 1-26, September.
- John Dunning & Cliff Wymbs, 2001. "The Challenge of Electronic Markets for International Business Theory," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(2), pages 273-301.
- John H Dunning, 1988. "The Eclectic Paradigm of International Production: A Restatement and Some Possible Extensions," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(1), pages 1-31, March.
- Richard Harris & Catherine Robinson, 2003. "Foreign Ownership and Productivity in the United Kingdom Estimates for U.K. Manufacturing Using the ARD," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 22(3), pages 207-223, May.
- Peter J Buckley & Mark C Casson, 1998. "Analyzing Foreign Market Entry Strategies: Extending the Internalization Approach," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(3), pages 539-561, September.
- Natália Barbosa & Helen Louri, 2003.
"Corporate performance: does ownership matter? A comparison of foreign - and domestic - owned firms in Greece and Portugal,"
NIMA Working Papers
26, Núcleo de Investigação em Microeconomia Aplicada (NIMA), Universidade do Minho.
- Natália Barbosa & Helen Louri, 2005. "Corporate Performance: Does Ownership Matter? A Comparison of Foreign- and Domestic-Owned Firms in Greece and Portugal," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 73-102, 08.
- John H Dunning, 1980. "Towards an Eclectic Theory of International Production: Some Empirical Tests," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 11(1), pages 9-31, March.
- Teece, David J., 1980. "Economies of scope and the scope of the enterprise," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 223-247, September.
- Peter J Buckley & R D Pearce, 1979. "Overseas Production and Exporting by the World's Largest Enterprises: A Study in Sourcing Policy," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 10(1), pages 9-20, March.
- Yadong Luo, 2001. "Determinants of Entry in an Emerging Economy: A Multilevel Approach," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(3), pages 443-472, 05.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:2857. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.