A Measure of Switching Costs in the GB Electricity Retail Market
In most liberalised electricity retail markets, incumbent firms still hold the majority of residential consumers. This situation focused the attention of regulatory institutions and energy economists on the determinants of consumers switching decisions. Fewer studies have, however, been devoted to measuring switching costs. In the present paper we calculate these costs in the Great Britain electricity retail market by revisiting the model suggested in Shy, O. (2002), A quick-and-easy method for estimating switching costs, International Journal of Industrial Organization, 20, pp. 71–87. The average net cost of switching regional incumbents is €385 while the net cost of switching back to them is negative for customers on standard credit or direct debit plans but positive for prepayment customers.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2005|
|Date of revision:||Apr 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Evens Salies & Jackie Krafft, 2006.
"The cost of switching Internet providers in the French broadband industry, or why ADSL has diffused faster than other innovative technologies,"
Sciences Po publications
n°2006-16, Sciences Po.
- Jackie Krafft & Evens Salies, 2006. "The cost of switching Internet providers in the French broadband industry, or why ADSL has diffused faster than other innovative technologies," Working Papers hal-00972799, HAL.
- Jackie Krafft & Evens Salies, 2006. "The cost of switching Internet providers in the French broadband industry, or why ADSL has diffused faster than other innovative technologies"," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE 2006-16, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:102:y:1987:i:2:p:375-94 is not listed on IDEAS
- Monica Giulietti & Catherine Waddams Price & Michael Waterson, 2005. "Consumer Choice and Competition Policy: a Study of UK Energy Markets," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 115(506), pages 949-968, October.
- Shy, Oz, 2002. "A quick-and-easy method for estimating switching costs," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 71-87, January.
- Waterson, Michael, 2001.
"The role of consumers in competition and competition policy,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
607, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Waterson, Michael, 2003. "The role of consumers in competition and competition policy," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 129-150, February.
- Waddams Price, Catherine & Bennett, Matthew, 1999. "New gas in old pipes: opening the UK residential gas market to competition," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 1-15, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:28255. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.