Relative City Price Convergence in Pakistan: Empirical Evidence from Spatial GLS
The study estimates relative city price convergence using CPI data from July 2001 to June 2008 on 35 Pakistani cities. Two cities Lahore and Karachi are chosen to be the numeraire cities. The half life of relative city price shock has also been estimated. The study finds average half life of price shock to be less than 5 months but it varies from 1.3 to 68 months in the case of individual cities. The estimates of Spatial GLS are found to be lower than OLS which may imply that Spatial Correlations are important factor for the estimation of half life. Furthermore, the average half life of a price shock in Lahore is less than that of Karachi.
|Date of creation:||10 Dec 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charles Engel & John H. Rogers, 1994.
"How Wide is the Border?,"
NBER Working Papers
4829, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Charles Engel & John H. Rogers, 1995. "How wide is the border?," International Finance Discussion Papers 498, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Charles Engel & John H. Rogers, 1995. "How wide is the border?," Research Working Paper 95-09, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Engel, C. & Rogers, J.H., 1995. "How Wide is the Border?," Papers 4-95-16, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Morshed, A.K.M. Mahbub & Ahn, Sung K. & Lee, Minsoo, 2006. "Price convergence among Indian cities: A cointegration approach," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 1030-1043, December.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti & Nelson C. Mark & Robert J. Sonora, 2002. "Price Index Convergence Among United States Cities," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 43(4), pages 1081-1099, November.
- Samarjit Das & Kaushik Bhattacharya, 2008.
"Price convergence across regions in India,"
Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 299-313, March.
- Parsley, David C & Wei, Shang-Jin, 1996.
"Convergence to the Law of One Price without Trade Barriers or Currency Fluctuations,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 111(4), pages 1211-36, November.
- David C. Parsley & Shang-Jin Wei, 1996. "Convergence to the Law of One Price Without Trade Barriers or Currency Fluctuations," NBER Working Papers 5654, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hisham Foad, 2010. "Europe Without Borders? The Effect of the Euro on Price Convergence," International Regional Science Review, , vol. 33(1), pages 86-111, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:27901. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.