Ethical case and economic feasibility of global transfers
Almost all social transfers are conducted within nations. Is there a case for cross border transfers? What could be the grounds for such transfers from the globally rich to globally poor people? The paper explores three possible grounds: compensation for the past wrongs; economic and political interdependence today; and the application of a Rawlsian difference principle at a global scale. The paper ends by arguing that global non-governmental institutions are likely to play a key advocacy role.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bairoch, Paul, 1989. "The paradoxes of economic history: Economic laws and history," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(2-3), pages 225-249, March.
- Richard B. Freeman, 2006.
"People Flows in Globalization,"
NBER Working Papers
12315, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Walmsley, Terrie L. & Winters, L. Alan, 2005.
"Relaxing the Restrictions on the Temporary Movement of Natural Persons: A Simulation Analysis,"
Journal of Economic Integration,
Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 20, pages 688-726.
- Walmsley, Terri Louise & Winters, L. Alan, 2003. "Relaxing the Restrictions on the Temporary Movements of Natural Persons: A Simulation Analysis," CEPR Discussion Papers 3719, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Heady, Christopher & Mitrakos, Theodore & Tsakloglou, Panos, 2001.
"The Distributional Impact of Social Transfers in the European Union: Evidence from the ECHP,"
IZA Discussion Papers
356, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Christopher Heady & Theodore Mitrakos & Panos Tsakloglou, 2001. "The distributional impact of social transfers in the European Union: evidence from the ECHP," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 22(4), pages 547-565., December.
- Bourguignon, Francois & Levin, Victoria & Rosenblatt, David, 2006. "Global redistribution of income," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3961, The World Bank.
- Kuznets, Simon, 1973.
"Modern Economic Growth: Findings and Reflections,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 63(3), pages 247-58, June.
- Richard E. Baldwin & Philippe Martin, 1999. "Two Waves of Globalisation: Superficial Similarities, Fundamental Differences," NBER Working Papers 6904, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thomas Piketty, 1997. "Immigration et justice sociale," Revue Économique, Programme National Persée, vol. 48(5), pages 1291-1309.
- Thomas Piketty, 1997. "Immigration et justice sociale," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 0(5), pages 1291-1309.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:2587. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.