When the theory is not enough – valuation of forest resources with “efficiency” prices in practice
In resource accounting, simple theoretical models built upon efficiency prices have been developed to capture changes in social welfare generated by natural resources. We examine whether changes in market stumpage prices, as proxies for efficiency prices, have actually reflected changes in the physical timber inventories in Finland and Sweden during the past seventy years. Cointegration and unit root tests show that no long-term equilibrium relationships exist between the timber prices and stocks. After identifying a potential reason for the result, the basic theoretical growth model is slightly elaborated to provide a more appropriate framework for measuring net domestic product for the forest sector.
|Date of creation:||02 Aug 2003|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Forest Economics 3.9(2003): pp. 205-222|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hartwick, John M., 1990.
"Natural resources, national accounting and economic depreciation,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 291-304, December.
- John M. Hartwick, 1990. "Natural Resources, National Accounting and Economic Depreciation," Working Papers 771, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Harold Hotelling, 1931. "The Economics of Exhaustible Resources," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 39, pages 137-137.
- Brown, Gardner M, Jr & Field, Barry C, 1978. "Implications of Alternative Measures of Natural Resource Scarcity," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(2), pages 229-243, April.
- Motta, Ronaldo Seroa Da & Amaral, Claudio A. Ferraz Do, 2000.
"Estimating timber depreciation in the Brazilian Amazon,"
Environment and Development Economics,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(01), pages 129-142, February.
- Ronaldo Seroa da Motta & Claudio Ferraz, 2015. "Estimating Timber Depreciation in the Brazilian Amazon," Discussion Papers 0077, Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada - IPEA.
- Eisner, Robert, 1989. "Divergences of Measurement and Theory and Some Implications for Economic Policy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 1-13, March.
- Martin L. Weitzman, 1976.
"On the Welfare Significance of National Product in a Dynamic Economy,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 90(1), pages 156-162.
- M. L. Weitzman, 1974. "On the Welfare Significance of National Product in Dynamic Economy," Working papers 125, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Karl-Göran Mäler, 1991. "National accounts and environmental resources," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 1(1), pages 1-15, March.
- Brekke, Kjell Arne, 1994. " Net National Product as a Welfare Indicator," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 96(2), pages 241-252.
- Aaheim, Asbjorn & Nyborg, Karine, 1995. "On the Interpretation and Applicability of a "Green National Product."," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 41(1), pages 57-71, March.
- Solow, Robert M, 1986. " On the Intergenerational Allocation of Natural Resources," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 88(1), pages 141-149.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501, December.
- Lars Hultkrantz, 1992. "National account of timber and forest environmental resources in Sweden," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 2(3), pages 283-305, May.
- Lyon, Kenneth S., 1981. "Mining of the forest and the time path of the price of timber," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 330-344, December.
- Pemberton, Malcolm & Ulph, David, 2001. " Measuring Income and Measuring Sustainability," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 103(1), pages 25-40, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:24604. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.