Third-Country Effects on the Formation of Free Trade Agreements
The recent proliferation of free trade agreements (FTAs) has resulted in an increasingly complex network of preferential trading relationships. The economics literature has generally examined the formation of FTAs as a function of the participating countries' economic characteristics alone. In this paper, we show both theoretically and empirically that the decision to enter into an FTA is also crucially dependent on the participating countries' existing FTA relationships with third countries. Accounting for the interdependence of FTAs helps to explain a significant fraction of FTA formations that would not otherwise be predicted by countries' economic characteristics.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baier, Scott L. & Bergstrand, Jeffrey H., 2004. "Economic determinants of free trade agreements," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 29-63, October.
- Taiji Furusawa & Hideo Konishi, 2003.
"Free Trade Networks,"
2003.55, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Choi, E. Kwan & Harrigan, James, 2003. "Handbook of International Trade," Staff General Research Papers Archive 11375, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Scott L. Baier & Jeffrey H. Bergstrand & Peter Egger, 2007. "The New Regionalism: Causes and Consequences," Economie Internationale, CEPII research center, issue 109, pages 9-29.
- Chen, Maggie & Joshi, Sumit, 2010.
"Third-Country Effects on the Formation of Free Trade Agreements,"
23507, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chen, Maggie Xiaoyang & Joshi, Sumit, 2010. "Third-country effects on the formation of free trade agreements," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 238-248, November.
- Maggie Xiaoyang Chen & Sumit Joshi, 2010. "Third-Country Effects on the Formation of Free Trade Agreements," Working Papers 2008-16, The George Washington University, Institute for International Economic Policy.
- Baldwin, Richard, 1993.
"A Domino Theory of Regionalism,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
857, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dutta, Bhaskar & Ghosal, Sayantan & Ray, Debraj, 2005.
"Farsighted network formation,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 122(2), pages 143-164, June.
- Sang-Seung, Yi, 1996. "Endogenous formation of customs unions under imperfect competition: open regionalism is good," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1-2), pages 153-177, August.
- Davis, D.R. & Weinstein, D.E., 1999.
"An Account of Global Factor Trade,"
435, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Donald R. Davis & David E. Weinstein, 1998. "An Account of Global Factor Trade," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1849, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Donald R. Davis & David E. Weinstein, 1998. "An Account of Global Factor Trade," NBER Working Papers 6785, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Keith E. Maskus & Shuichiro Nishioka, 2009.
"Development-related biases in factor productivities and the HOV model of trade,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 42(2), pages 519-553, May.
- Keith E. Maskus & Shuichiro Nishioka, 2008. "Development-Related Biases in Factor Productivities and the HOV Model of Trade," CESifo Working Paper Series 2253, CESifo Group Munich.
- Philippe Aghion & Pol Antràs & Elhanan Helpman, 2004.
"Negotiating Free Trade,"
NBER Working Papers
10721, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Caroline Freund, 2000. "Different Paths to Free Trade: The Gains from Regionalism," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 115(4), pages 1317-1341.
- Ornelas, Emanuel, 2005. "Trade creating free trade areas and the undermining of multilateralism," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 49(7), pages 1717-1735, October.
- Kamal Saggi, 2006. "Preferential Trade Agreements And Multilateral Tariff Cooperation ," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 47(1), pages 29-57, 02.
- Egger, Peter & Larch, Mario, 2008. "Interdependent preferential trade agreement memberships: An empirical analysis," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 384-399, December.
- Magee Christopher S, 2003. "Endogenous Preferential Trade Agreements: An Empirical Analysis," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-19, December.
- Eric W. Bond & Raymond G. Riezman & Constantinos Syropoulos, 2013.
"A strategic and welfare theoretic analysis of free trade areas,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,
in: International Trade Agreements and Political Economy, chapter 8, pages 101-127
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Bond, Eric W. & Riezman, Raymond G. & Syropoulos, Constantinos, 2004. "A strategic and welfare theoretic analysis of free trade areas," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 1-27, October.
- Trefler, Daniel, 1993. "International Factor Price Differences: Leontief Was Right!," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(6), pages 961-987, December.
- Goyal, S. & Joshi, S., 1999.
"Bilateralism and free trade,"
Econometric Institute Research Papers
EI 9953-/A, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Bond, Eric W. & Syropoulos, Constantinos, 1996. "The size of trading blocs Market power and world welfare effects," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-4), pages 411-437, May.
- Bagwell, Kyle & Staiger, Robert W., 2004. "Multilateral trade negotiations, bilateral opportunism and the rules of GATT/WTO," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 1-29, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:23507. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.