Forecasting The Pricing Kernel of IBNR Claims Development In Property-Casualty Insurance
A new method of forecasting the pricing kernel, i.e., stochastic claim inflation or link ratio function, of incurred but not reported (IBNR) claims (in property casualty insurance) from residuals in a dynamic claims forecast model is presented. We employ a pseudo Kalman filter approach by using claims risk exposure estimates to reconstruct innovations in stochastic claims development. Whereupon we find that the pricing kernel forecast is a product measure of the innovations. We show how these results impact performance measurement including but not limited to risk-adjusted return on capital by and through insurance accounting relationships for adjusted underwriting results; and loss ratio or pure premium calculations. Additionally, we show how, in the context of Wold decomposition, diagnostics from our model can be used to compute signal to noise ratio for, and cross check, unobservable pricing kernels used to forecast claims. Furthermore, we prove that a single risk exposure factor connects seemingly unrelated specifications for loss link ratio, and claims volatility.
|Date of creation:||10 Jun 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Taylor, G. C. & Ashe, F. R., 1983. "Second moments of estimates of outstanding claims," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 37-61, September.
- Engle III, Robert F., 2003.
"Risk and Volatility: Econometric Models and Financial Practice,"
Nobel Prize in Economics documents
2003-4, Nobel Prize Committee.
- Robert Engle, 2004. "Risk and Volatility: Econometric Models and Financial Practice," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(3), pages 405-420, June.
- Graham, John R. & Harvey, Campbell R., 2001. "The theory and practice of corporate finance: evidence from the field," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2-3), pages 187-243, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:23235. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.