Interactions between Country-of-Origin, Brands and Food-Safety-Certificates in the Promotion of Beef in Germany – What is the Right Labelling Strategy? – A Consumer Preference Analysis on the Basis of a Conditional Logit Model –
This paper focuses on the deeper analysis of the interaction between Country-of-Origin, QUALITY & SAFETY labels, retailer brands and individual specific data with the target of identifying the best labelling strategies for the GERMAN BEEF market. For this purpose Discrete-Choice-method was applied. The empirical findings have interesting implications with respect to information economics in general, and the signalling effects of GIs, brands and QUALITY & SAFETY -labels in particular. Economic theory suggests that certificates reduce information asymmetries as far as consumers attribute product quality to producers' participation in quality assurance schemes. However, CO-labelled products may already be associated with a superior quality, rendering additional certification less effective. The results show a tendency in that direction. Mostly negative or no interaction effects for the analysed QUALITY & SAFETY-Country-of-Origin combinations were found. Nevertheless, there is the possibility that control labels can support the sales of certain origin as shown for the combination of BAVARIAN BEEF and CONTROLLED QUALITY-BAVARIA.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521788304 is not listed on IDEAS
- C M Costanzo & W C Halperin & N D Gale & G D Richardson, 1982. "An alternative method for assessing goodness-of-fit for logit models," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 14(7), pages 963-971, July.
- Robert Schooler, 1971. "Bias Phenomena Attendant to the Marketing of Foreign Goods in the U.S," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 2(1), pages 71-80, March.
- Landon, Stuart & Smith, Constance, 1998. "Quality expectations, reputation, and price," MPRA Paper 9774, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Johny K Johansson & Ilkka A Ronkainen & Michael R Czinkota, 1994. "Negative Country-of-Origin Effects: The Case of the New Russia," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 25(1), pages 157-176, March.
- E. Roy Weintraub, 1992. "Introduction," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 24(5), pages 3-12, Supplemen.
- Maria Luz Loureiro & Jill J. McCluskey, 2000. "Assessing consumer response to protected geographical identification labeling," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 309-320.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:20543. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.