Currency substitution in Romania
The aim of this paper is to investigate the currency substitution phenomenon in Romania. We present the evolution of the DI (Dollarization Index) as it is defined by the IMF, the situation on the liabilities side and that of the banking sector. We assess the way in which the traditional functions of money have been affected by currency substitution. In the final part of this paper a demand for money function is estimated for Romania for a period between 1997:06—2003:03. This demand for money clearly demonstrates the existence of currency substitution between the domestic and foreign currencies. Also we test the stability of the model and conclude that despite a turbulent economic medium the demand for money function is stable.
|Date of creation:||May 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Neil R. Ericsson & Sunil Sharma, 1996.
"Broad money demand and financial liberalization in Greece,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
559, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Sunil Sharma & Neil R. Ericsson, 1998. "Broad money demand and financial liberalization in Greece," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 417-436.
- Sunil Sharma & Neil R. Ericsson, 1996. "Broad Money Demand and Financial Liberalization in Greece," IMF Working Papers 96/62, International Monetary Fund.
- Martin Uribe, 1995.
"Hysteresis in a simple model of currency substitution,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
509, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Uribe, Martin, 1997. "Hysteresis in a simple model of currency substitution," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 185-202, September.
- Bredin, Don & Cuthbertson, Keith, 2001.
"Money Demand in the Czech Republic since Transition,"
Research Technical Papers
3/RT/01, Central Bank of Ireland.
- Keith Cuthbertson & Don Bredin, 2001. "Money demand in the czech republic since transition," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(4), pages 271-290.
- Miguel Lebre de Freitas, 2003. "Revisiting Dollarisation Hysteresis: Evidence from Bolivia, Turkey and Indonesia," NIPE Working Papers 12/2003, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Dickey, David A & Rossana, Robert J, 1994. "Cointegrated Time Series: A Guide to Estimation and Hypothesis Testing," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 56(3), pages 325-53, August.
- Luboš Komárek & Martin Melecký, 2003.
"Currency Substitution in a Transitional Economy with an Application to the Czech Republic,"
Eastern European Economics,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 41(4), pages 72-99, July.
- Luboš Komárek & Martin Melecký, 2003. "Currency Substitution in a Transitional Economy with an Application to the Czech Republic," Eastern European Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(4), pages 72-99, July.
- Subramanian S Sriram, 1999. "Survey of Literature on Demand for Money; Theoretical and Empirical Work with Special Reference to Error-Correction Models," IMF Working Papers 99/64, International Monetary Fund.
- van Aarle, B. & Budina, N., 1995. "Currency substitution in Eastern Europe," Discussion Paper 1995-2, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Brian M. Doyle, 2000. ""Here, dollars, dollars ..."estimating currency demand and worldwide currency substitution," International Finance Discussion Papers 657, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Bas van Aarle & Nina Budina, 1997.
"Substituce měny ve východní Evropě
[Currency Substitution in Eastern Europe]," Politická ekonomie, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 1997(2), pages 171-182.
- Joannes Mongardini & Johannes Mueller, 1999.
"Rachet Effects in Currency Substitution; An Application to the Kyrgyz Republic,"
IMF Working Papers
99/102, International Monetary Fund.
- Joannes Mongardini & Johannes Mueller, 2000. "Ratchet Effects in Currency Substitution: An Application to the Kyrgyz Republic," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 47(2), pages 3.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:19813. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.