Immigration, Ethics and the Capabilities Approach
Often, immigration debates are conducted under the presumption that immigration policies must be justifiable only to those who already live in the respective country. Alas, reflection on the justifiability of immigration policies to those excluded becomes ever more important in a politically and economically increasingly interconnected world. This study explores two approaches to the normative reflection on immigration at some depth, namely, the idea that restrictive immigration policies are problematic because they are hampering the development of human capabilities, as well as the idea that such policies are problematic because they are at odds with the fact that our planet belongs to humanity collectively. On both of these proposals, less restrictive immigration policies are not merely demanded as one possible way of aiding the poor, but would be required as such. Both of these approaches can be treated within the same framework, the grounds-of-justice framework, which allows us to focus on the idea that states must also be justified to those who do not belong to them. Central to the proposal about immigration that can be made within this approach are ideas of over- and under-use of commonly owned resources and spaces.
|Date of creation:||01 Aug 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brett-Crowther, M. R., 1983. "Poverty and famines an essay on entitlement and deprivation : Amartya Sen Clarendon Press/Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK, 1981, 257 pp. [UK pound]8.95," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 94-95, February.
- Étienne Gilbert, 1983. "A. Sen, Poverty and Famines, an essay on Entitlement and Deprivation," Revue Tiers Monde, Programme National Persée, vol. 24(93), pages 211-211.
- Clemens, Michael A. & Montenegro, Claudio E. & Pritchett, Lant, 2008.
"The place premium : wage differences for identical workers across the US border,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4671, The World Bank.
- Michael A. Clemens & Claudio E. Montenegro & Lant Pritchett, 2010. "The Place Premium: Wage Differences for Identical Workers across the US Border," Working Papers wp321, University of Chile, Department of Economics.
- Clemens, Michael A. & Montenegro, Claudio E. & Pritchett, Lant, 2009. "The Place Premium: Wage Differences for Identical Workers Across the US Border," Scholarly Articles 4412631, Harvard Kennedy School of Government.
- Michael Clemens & Claudio Montenegro & Lant Pritchett, 2008. "The Place Premium: Wage Differences for Identical Workers across the U.S. Border," Working Papers 148, Center for Global Development.
- Clemens, Michael & Montenegro, Claudio & Pritchett, Lant, 2009. "The Place Premium: Wage Differences for Identical Workers across the US Border," Working Paper Series rwp09-004, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- L. Randall Wray & Stephanie Bell, 2004. "Introduction," Chapters, in: Credit and State Theories of Money, chapter 1 Edward Elgar.
- Herman van der Wusten, 2008. "Territory, Authority, Rights. From Medieval to Global Assemblages," Tijdschrift voor Economische en Sociale Geografie, Royal Dutch Geographical Society KNAG, vol. 99(2), pages 260-262, 04.
- Saskia Sassen, 2008.
"Introduction to Territory, Authority, Rights: From Medieval to Global Assemblages
[Territory, Authority, Rights: From Medieval to Global Assemblages]," Introductory Chapters, Princeton University Press.
- Sen, Amartya, 1983. "Poverty and Famines: An Essay on Entitlement and Deprivation," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198284635, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:19218. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.