Multivariate portmanteau test for structural VARMA models with uncorrelated but non-independent error terms
We consider portmanteau tests for testing the adequacy of vector autoregressive moving-average (VARMA) models under the assumption that the errors are uncorrelated but not necessarily independent. We relax the standard independence assumption to extend the range of application of the VARMA models, and allow to cover linear representations of general nonlinear processes. We first study the joint distribution of the quasi-maximum likelihood estimator (QMLE) or the least squared estimator (LSE) and the noise empirical autocovariances. We then derive the asymptotic distribution of residual empirical autocovariances and autocorrelations under weak assumptions on the noise. We deduce the asymptotic distribution of the Ljung-Box (or Box-Pierce) portmanteau statistics for VARMA models with nonindependent innovations. In the standard framework (i.e. under iid assumptions on the noise), it is known that the asymptotic distribution of the portmanteau tests is that of a weighted sum of independent chi-squared random variables. The asymptotic distribution can be quite different when the independence assumption is relaxed. Consequently, the usual chi-squared distribution does not provide an adequate approximation to the distribution of the Box-Pierce goodness-of fit portmanteau test. Hence we propose a method to adjust the critical values of the portmanteau tests. Monte carlo experiments illustrate the finite sample performance of the modified portmanteau test.
|Date of creation:||07 Dec 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chabot-Hallé, Dominique & Duchesne, Pierre, 2008. "Diagnostic checking of multivariate nonlinear time series models with martingale difference errors," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(8), pages 997-1005, June.
- Bénédicte Vidaillet & V. D'Estaintot & P. Abécassis, 2005. "Introduction," Post-Print hal-00287137, HAL.
- Francq, Christian & Zako an, Jean-Michel, 2000.
"Estimating Weak Garch Representations,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(05), pages 692-728, October.
- Boubacar Mainassara, Y. & Francq, C., 2011.
"Estimating structural VARMA models with uncorrelated but non-independent error terms,"
Journal of Multivariate Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 102(3), pages 496-505, March.
- Boubacar Mainassara, Yacouba & Francq, Christian, 2009. "Estimating structural VARMA models with uncorrelated but non-independent error terms," MPRA Paper 15141, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1988.
"Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
877R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jul 1989.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1991. "Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 817-58, May.
- Ignacio Arbués, 2008. "An Extended Portmanteau Test for VARMA Models With Mixing Nonlinear Constraints," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(5), pages 741-761, 09.
- Jeantheau, Thierry, 1998. "Strong Consistency Of Estimators For Multivariate Arch Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(01), pages 70-86, February.
- Francq, Christian & Roy, Roch & Zakoian, Jean-Michel, 2005. "Diagnostic Checking in ARMA Models With Uncorrelated Errors," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 532-544, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:18990. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.